Quarantine Tank Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Quarantine tanks are important for protecting your current fish against infections potentially carried by any new stock you bring into the tank. Fishlore has seen more than a few instances where a tank was entirely depopulated by the addition of one fish.
A quarantine tank isolates new fish for several weeks or a couple of months, providing them with a chance to show signs of infection and/or recover from an infection, reducing the possibility of infecting your tank at large.

Here are a few links on how to set up a quarantine tank:

Quarantine Tank Setup for Aquarium Fish

How to set up a Quarantine tank

Quick and dirty quarantine setup

kenzone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The information in the links was very good, but I have a question...it was stated in the first link, "check for signs of parasites or bacterial infections". What exactly am I looking for as signs that a fish has a parasite or infection?? How can I be certain when a fish is free of infection and ready to be introduced to the main tank?

Thanks

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The information in the links was very good, but I have a question...it was stated in the first link, "check for signs of parasites or bacterial infections". What exactly am I looking for as signs that a fish has a parasite or infection?? How can I be certain when a fish is free of infection and ready to be introduced to the main tank?

Thanks
Symptoms are based according to disease- if your fish are acting out of sorts, not eating, hiding alot, white spots, gold spots, loss of fins, White or clear stringy feces, white cotton like patches, loss of color- gray or pale, not swimming right. Basically not acting like their normal selves.

I just set up a quarantine for the first time about a week ago and glad I did- my babies were sick.
Knowing what I know now- I would just pull them out at the first sign of something being wrong, observe them, figure it out and treat.

As far as putting them back in- I would say when whatever is wrong with them has healed and they are acting like themselves again. I'm not clear on it though- I'm going to ask that question myself since I still have some fin rot issues probably from being so sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom