quarantine tank cycling

1. neonblue1980 Member Member

upon researching quarantine tank how-to....how does the nitrogen cycle continue during times when i don't have fish in it to keep it going...? what if i want to turn the equipment off to save my power bill from unnecessary usage (when fish aren't in it)? wouldn't turning it off destroy any active nitrogen cycle i've got going on?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Keeping extra filter media in an established tank will help quick seed a quarantine tank thank way the extra tank doesn't need to keep running.

3. neonblue1980 Member Member

where do you put the extra filter media? like, do you mean IN the filter with all the regular media? i don't know how i could make that fit in the aquaclear 50. it's already jam packed and that's with only the stuff that actually came with it.

4. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

With the media how long would it take to cycle

5. Kurty Member Member

With established media it should be almost be an instant cycle

6. neonblue1980 Member Member

where do i put the established media though? and what does established media actually mean? what do i take out of the tank/filter to be considered media?

7. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Okay to clarify this for you.. :D

For a QT you can use something as simple as a tub with a filter and heater. Of course you want a few ornaments or plants so the fish still feel safe and like they are not in the open. To maintain a cycle in the QT all you have to do is use a sponge filter. This meaning you get a sponge filter like this(http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0056XVF82/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1406732267&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40) ,but it doesn't have to be this one, I'm just using it for example purposes. Some of them have two arms with sponges like I linked and other have one sponge like this one(http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005LMQCW2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1406732357&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40). With sponge filters you hook them up to an air pump for them to work. Then you can just put the sponge filter in your main tank that already has an established cycle and some beneficial bacteria will get in the sponge. This makes the sponge full of BB but doesn't affect your main cycle because the BB is still in your tank. Then what you do when you need to use your QT is grab that tub or tank we were talking about earlier, fill it up, add dechlorinator, stick in the heater(plug it in of course), and move the sponge filter from your main tank to the QT tank. Because your main tank is already cycled and established, it should not affect it's cycle because you are only taking out what you put in for the QT which is very little bacteria compared to the bacteria in the filter for your main tank and the substrate and the ornaments/plants. Only put the sponge filter in your QT when there is fish in there because it's a seeded sponge filter meaning there is bacteria in it and they will starve and die off if they don't have ammonia (fish poo) to live off. If they die, all your hard work from putting the sponge filter in your main tank will be lost because the beneficial bacteria are gone. I believe it takes about 3 weeks for the sponge filter to be seeded(to have beneficial bacteria in it).
    Once you are done with the QT tank and the fish are in your main tank, you need to think about what happened to the fish while in QT. If the fish were healthy, you can just take out the sponge filter and put it back in the main tank for later use, unplug the heater and take it out, empty the tub, and take out decorations. If the fish had any signs of sickness and were treated for anything you need to take the sponge from the sponge filter and clean it in bleach, I think it is. Rinse it out with water super well and place it into the main tank so it can be seeded with beneficial bacteria for the next use. Then just repeat these steps everytime you have to QT fish. :)

edit: I added the links for you

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I just ordered two of these sponge filters for $2.20 each with free shipping. You can get a lot of things on ebay.

9. neonblue1980 Member Member

walmart has a very basic 10 or 15 gallon starter aquarium kit with sponge HOB filter, gravel, air tubing, stone, food, net, etc. the only thing it doesn't come with is the heater. it's only about 39 bucks. i wonder if this is something worth looking into. would sort of kill two birds with one stone if i ever wanted to convert that tank to an actual betta tank or something.

10. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Petco does a $1.00 per gallon tank sale. I went too late so got a complete 10gal setup for $34 (no heater) but he said the next sale would be in September. Petsmart usually has good prices too. Better than Petco except when they have a sale. But read all the reviews on the tank you want. Some have problems with the hood lights getting rusted.

11. neonblue1980 Member Member

i'm in canada - we don't have a petco nearby. we have petsmart and pets unlimited. that's it for stores that sell fish. walmart sells basic equipment. other than that, there's nothing local. actually, there is one local saltwater store, but all they sell are saltwater products, which is of no use to me! they do sell tanks but they are incredibly expensive.

12. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Does CraigsList.com go up there? I got a complete 10gal setup (no heater but did have gravel) for $10 on Craigslist.com