Quarantine set up.

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Imm gonna set up a qt tank. 10 gallons. Gravel substrate, plastic plants. I just need the tank and light. And a filter. How do i do this? Do i cycle it and just leave the filter? Its mainly for new fish. Not sick fish. But if i get a sick fish and use it for that, and when im done i clean everything, do i need to entirely clean the filter? Because wouldnt i then need to keep re-cycling everytime? Or can i just leave the filter... I know a lot of people say to use sponge filters. But this will probably go in my room. So i want a quiet filter. Are internal filters good enough to keep a 10 gallon tank? I just need to know how you guys would do it.

Aquadisiac

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sure you'll get more insightful advice however this is my two cents. I would say add some extra filter media to your existing cycled tank and let that seed. Then if/when you need to use your quarantine just transfer the extra filter media over to the quarantine tank. It seems tedious to try to keep a tank cycled without fish until you need it.

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many people just add an extra small filter (like an A/C 20) to their main tank, and move it to the QT as needed. rick

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Many people just add an extra small filter (like an A/C 20) to their main tank, and move it to the QT as needed. rick
Do i need to clean it out before adding it back to my main after use?

lily potter1223

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Not sure about cleaning it out, maybe someone else can help. I just use extra filter floss from an established tank or something to insta-cycle my quarantine when I need it. Very easy

IMO having gravel in a quarantine is just extra work to clean it out. And also (bad) bacteria and stuff like that tend to stay in the gravel if you don't clean it super well.

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do i need to clean it out before adding it back to my main after use?
If you were treating an ill fish, yes. If you were using it for the routine quarantine of a new fish, it's up to you, but I can't see it being necessary if the new fish remained healthy. rick

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom