Quarantine Plants

fishferfun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am planning on acquiring some new plants from someone on a local Facebook group. Are there any steps I should take of quarantining the plants so as to not transfer any nasties to my tank?

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
members swear by bleach and vinegar dips to rid of pest snails and possible disease, bleach dips are done at 1 part bleach 10 parts water for plants, and 2 parts bleach 10 parts water for decor and other items.
Vinegar isn't as harmful as bleach, and I believe can be done at a 2 parts vinegar 10 parts water dilution on plants.
When using it as a pesticide in my garden I use 2 parts vinegar, 1 part dawn soap, and 1 part commercial oil, the rest is water, so I know it's safe in that concentration.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
what i did was take a 5 gallon bucket of old tank water (with nitrates) and placed the plants in there for a few weeks. about 1 week later found some tiny snails. the eggs are tiny.

some ppl will dip them in H2O2, and other chemicals.

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
members swear by bleach and vinegar dips to rid of pest snails and possible disease, bleach dips are done at 1 part bleach 10 parts water for plants, and 2 parts bleach 10 parts water for decor and other items.
Vinegar isn't as harmful as bleach, and I believe can be done at a 2 parts vinegar 10 parts water dilution on plants.
When using it as a pesticide in my garden I use 2 parts vinegar, 1 part dawn soap, and 1 part commercial oil, the rest is water, so I know it's safe in that concentration.
Are you sure about 1:10 for the bleach, I've only ever heard and done one part bleach, 19 parts water which seemed plenty strong... Quarantining a few days wouldn't hurt either, any parasites that don't find a host in a few days usually don't survive anyway and you'd find out if any snails managed to survive the dip somehow.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about 1:10 for the bleach, I've only ever heard and done one part bleach, 19 parts water which seemed plenty strong
That is much stronger than the typical suggestion of 1:19 (5%) and I think it could be pretty harsh on plants. The only time I've used 1:9 (10%) was to sterilize non porous equipment after parasites and in retrospect it was probably excessive.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am planning on acquiring some new plants from someone on a local Facebook group. Are there any steps I should take of quarantining the plants so as to not transfer any nasties to my tank?
Hello Loveland, Greeley here...

New plants will sometimes carry the eggs of Ramshorn snails. But, won't carry anything like a virus or parasite that could infect healthy fish in pure water conditions. When I get new plants, I typically rinse them well in warm tap water to remove the snail eggs and then they're ready for the tank. Be sure to remove any lead bands, or rock wool that my be holding the plants together. You don't want any of that stuff in the tank.

Have fun,

Old

BevM

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I absolutely recommend quarantine for plants. I had an alarming experience recently with an order online from an individual on YouTube. I put my plants in a white bucket and later when I checked on them (anxious to get them planted), the bottom of the bucket had lots of creepy looking worms squirming around. I will always quarantine. I also added some aquarium salt to the water which did the trick.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I absolutely recommend quarantine for plants. I had an alarming experience recently with an order online
I've removed worms from new plants too - yuck! They might have been harmless but I'm glad I didn't put them in my tank.

Folks have brought pest snails, planaria, ich, bacteria, and other nasties into their display tanks on plants. Do folks have to dip and QT plants? Not at all. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I absolutely recommend quarantine for plants. I had an alarming experience recently with an order online from an individual on YouTube. I put my plants in a white bucket and later when I checked on them (anxious to get them planted), the bottom of the bucket had lots of creepy looking worms squirming around. I will always quarantine. I also added some aquarium salt to the water which did the trick.
Hello Bev...

You may be talking about a type of Planarian. It's a harmless worm that lives on some plants and in very wet soil. If you're maintaining a tank that gets large, weekly water changes, you have nothing to worry about. These worms can't harm health fish in pure water conditions and are most times lunch for the fish. Adding a bit of standard aquarium salt is fine for quarantining or in the main tank. Pathogens, viruses or parasites aren't able to tolerate traces of salt in pure water conditions. It retards reproduction.

Old

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you sure about 1:10 for the bleach, I've only ever heard and done one part bleach, 19 parts water which seemed plenty strong... Quarantining a few days wouldn't hurt either, any parasites that don't find a host in a few days usually don't survive anyway and you'd find out if any snails managed to survive the dip somehow.
I did mention you didn't have to use bleach, and could use vinegar as well /shrug
But I suppose it is 20 parts and not 10 like I remembered.
Though another person saying they used a standard spray bottle (they're usually about 4 cups or so?) And said they'd use a whole cup of bleach. Which is quite a lot more than 1:10... Lol so I don't think it will kill the plants if you do something like a 3 minute dip.
Vinegar definitely works quite the same and is less harmful.

A note on planaria.
They may be harmless to fish but they are still a parasite, and they feed on shrimp and crustaceans. Maybe even snails, I'm unsure. They have been said to take out entire colonies of shrimp without anyone noticing there were worms in the tank. Sneaky flat things.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did mention you didn't have to use bleach, and could use vinegar as well /shrug
But I suppose it is 20 parts and not 10 like I remembered.
Though another person saying they used a standard spray bottle (they're usually about 4 cups or so?) And said they'd use a whole cup of bleach. Which is quite a lot more than 1:10... Lol so I don't think it will kill the plants if you do something like a 3 minute dip.
Vinegar definitely works quite the same and is less harmful.

A note on planaria.
They may be harmless to fish but they are still a parasite, and they feed on shrimp and crustaceans. Maybe even snails, I'm unsure. They have been said to take out entire colonies of shrimp without anyone noticing there were worms in the tank. Sneaky flat things.
Hello Crazy...

Planaria live off uneaten food and live in tanks that are allowed to get a little dirty. If you change out a lot of water, often and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material, planaria have no food source and won't reproduce. Planaria only target weak or otherwise diseased fish, shrimp or whatever you have living in the tank. The chances of the parasite infecting a healthy fish or shimp in near pure water conditions, is pretty remote.

Old

BevM

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for info on the "worms". Regardless of whether they are harmless or not, I do not prefer to have worms in my tank. This is my second time around with maintaining this aquarium ( I took a long break from it but I'm giving it another try) and I never had worms in it before. I do try to do regular water changes, at least weekly, and vacuum the gravel each time. I have serpae tetras (8) and silver tip tetras (6) with 3 siamese algae eaters. They are fun to watch.

Kmshyamsunder

Reaction score
Another simple but sure shot is add natural salt 50 grams to 3 litres of water and dip them fully for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse and plant even if algae spores and other parasites in egg forms get killed.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've always stuck with one cup of bleach to three gallons of water and dip hardy plants for 5 minutes and less hardy for 3 minutes then washed in clean water then s dip in fresh with prime, on a side note I use RO water weekly changes and still had planaria and can assure you they will kill shrimp your plants could also transfer hydra that again is lethal to shrimp and young fish to say planaria only infest dirty water I'm sorry to say that's not true

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for info on the "worms". Regardless of whether they are harmless or not, I do not prefer to have worms in my tank. This is my second time around with maintaining this aquarium ( I took a long break from it but I'm giving it another try) and I never had worms in it before. I do try to do regular water changes, at least weekly, and vacuum the gravel each time. I have serpae tetras (8) and silver tip tetras (6) with 3 siamese algae eaters. They are fun to watch.
Another way to hit them hard and fast is put the plants in a solution of planaria zero or fenbendazole both will kill snails, snail eggs, plus any type of worm

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have never had issues with disease from plants so I don't quarantine them.

I do bleach dip plants though. 1:10 bleach/water solution does the job. Then rinse them well with tap water, and put them in a bucket and dose with Prime. It removes any weird strains of algae that the fish store may have or the tiny chance a virus/bacteria is living on the plant that could harm your fish.

As for snails, it won't do a thing. I've boiled substrate infested with snails/eggs and a couple weeks later, they were back.... A lot of the chemicals that kill snails (AlgaeFix for example) also kill shrimp and other inverts, so I can't treat my tanks with that. I always had a constant battle with snails until I got puffers, now they're a precious commodity.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello...

Using any chemicals other than the standard water treatment is risky. Even if you're very careful with them, there's a chance one could be introduced into the tank somehow. If you never use chemicals, then there's no chance of forgetting to rinse properly and accidentally putting something into the tank that could affect whatever is living there.

As for snails, they can be easily controlled by reducing the food the fish and plants get. If you have too many snails, you're feeding too much. A fish has a stomach the size on one of its eyes. So, it doesn't take much to fill it. If there's no uneaten food in the tank, then the snails have no food source. A very hungry snail is unlikely to reproduce.

Old

KingRandy91

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello...

Using any chemicals other than the standard water treatment is risky. Even if you're very careful with them, there's a chance one could be introduced into the tank somehow. If you never use chemicals, then there's no chance of forgetting to rinse properly and accidentally putting something into the tank that could affect whatever is living there.

As for snails, they can be easily controlled by reducing the food the fish and plants get. If you have too many snails, you're feeding too much. A fish has a stomach the size on one of its eyes. So, it doesn't take much to fill it. If there's no uneaten food in the tank, then the snails have no food source. A very hungry snail is unlikely to reproduce.

Old
As long as algae is creates from any source, not just fish food, there is still a food source for snails. There diet doesn't only consist of fish food

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom