Are you sure about 1:10 for the bleach, I've only ever heard and done one part bleach, 19 parts water which seemed plenty strong... Quarantining a few days wouldn't hurt either, any parasites that don't find a host in a few days usually don't survive anyway and you'd find out if any snails managed to survive the dip somehow.members swear by bleach and vinegar dips to rid of pest snails and possible disease, bleach dips are done at 1 part bleach 10 parts water for plants, and 2 parts bleach 10 parts water for decor and other items.
Vinegar isn't as harmful as bleach, and I believe can be done at a 2 parts vinegar 10 parts water dilution on plants.
When using it as a pesticide in my garden I use 2 parts vinegar, 1 part dawn soap, and 1 part commercial oil, the rest is water, so I know it's safe in that concentration.
That is much stronger than the typical suggestion of 1:19 (5%) and I think it could be pretty harsh on plants. The only time I've used 1:9 (10%) was to sterilize non porous equipment after parasites and in retrospect it was probably excessive.Are you sure about 1:10 for the bleach, I've only ever heard and done one part bleach, 19 parts water which seemed plenty strong
Hello Loveland, Greeley here...I am planning on acquiring some new plants from someone on a local Facebook group. Are there any steps I should take of quarantining the plants so as to not transfer any nasties to my tank?
I've removed worms from new plants too - yuck! They might have been harmless but I'm glad I didn't put them in my tank.I absolutely recommend quarantine for plants. I had an alarming experience recently with an order online
Hello Bev...I absolutely recommend quarantine for plants. I had an alarming experience recently with an order online from an individual on YouTube. I put my plants in a white bucket and later when I checked on them (anxious to get them planted), the bottom of the bucket had lots of creepy looking worms squirming around. I will always quarantine. I also added some aquarium salt to the water which did the trick.
I did mention you didn't have to use bleach, and could use vinegar as well /shrugAre you sure about 1:10 for the bleach, I've only ever heard and done one part bleach, 19 parts water which seemed plenty strong... Quarantining a few days wouldn't hurt either, any parasites that don't find a host in a few days usually don't survive anyway and you'd find out if any snails managed to survive the dip somehow.
Hello Crazy...I did mention you didn't have to use bleach, and could use vinegar as well /shrug
But I suppose it is 20 parts and not 10 like I remembered.
Though another person saying they used a standard spray bottle (they're usually about 4 cups or so?) And said they'd use a whole cup of bleach. Which is quite a lot more than 1:10... Lol so I don't think it will kill the plants if you do something like a 3 minute dip.
Vinegar definitely works quite the same and is less harmful.
A note on planaria.
They may be harmless to fish but they are still a parasite, and they feed on shrimp and crustaceans. Maybe even snails, I'm unsure. They have been said to take out entire colonies of shrimp without anyone noticing there were worms in the tank. Sneaky flat things.
Another way to hit them hard and fast is put the plants in a solution of planaria zero or fenbendazole both will kill snails, snail eggs, plus any type of wormThanks for info on the "worms". Regardless of whether they are harmless or not, I do not prefer to have worms in my tank. This is my second time around with maintaining this aquarium ( I took a long break from it but I'm giving it another try) and I never had worms in it before. I do try to do regular water changes, at least weekly, and vacuum the gravel each time. I have serpae tetras (8) and silver tip tetras (6) with 3 siamese algae eaters. They are fun to watch.
As long as algae is creates from any source, not just fish food, there is still a food source for snails. There diet doesn't only consist of fish foodHello...
Using any chemicals other than the standard water treatment is risky. Even if you're very careful with them, there's a chance one could be introduced into the tank somehow. If you never use chemicals, then there's no chance of forgetting to rinse properly and accidentally putting something into the tank that could affect whatever is living there.
As for snails, they can be easily controlled by reducing the food the fish and plants get. If you have too many snails, you're feeding too much. A fish has a stomach the size on one of its eyes. So, it doesn't take much to fill it. If there's no uneaten food in the tank, then the snails have no food source. A very hungry snail is unlikely to reproduce.