Quarantine new plants?

Rose of Sharon

Hi!

I am in the process of getting a few anubias from the Aquarium Co-Op. I know that many people buy from there, and they seem to have a really good reputation.

Will I have to quarantine/dip those plants before putting them in my betta tank?

These are the first real plants that I am adding that come from an on-line source.

Thanks in advance!

Convoluted77

If you are dead set against pest snails then you should probably treat them first.Other than that I've had no problems with dozens and dozens of plants.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

You do not have to quarantine/dip your plants. I never do. But, if you really don't like microfauna (like snails and pods and worms and such), then go for it.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Yea, I'm in the no dip crowd as well. You show me someone who's been keeping planted tanks for a few years who don't have snails or algae in their tanks, and I'll show you either a professional aquascaper or a liar.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yea, I'm in the no dip crowd as well. You show me someone who's been keeping planted tanks for a few years who don't have snails or algae in their tanks, and I'll show you either a professional aquascaper or a liar.
I have algae just no pest snails. Do Limpets count? :p

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Agreed with above. "Pest" snails, pods, and other miscellaneous critters are an important part of an established tank, IMO. Even some of the "bad" pests can be beneficial whenever their numbers are kept in check.

I've spent more money than I'd like to admit on plants from the Co-Op - and I've personally never been dissatisfied.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Snails are free little janitors for your tanks. Friends not pests! The noble hardworking yet humble bladder snail deserves a spot in the aquarium hall of fame lol.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Snails are free little janitors for your tanks. Friends not pests! The noble hardworking yet humble bladder snail deserves a spot in the aquarium hall of fame lol.
I liked the Mini Ramshorn I had they were cute. They did breed fast though in a Betta tank. She ate them all though, now there are none. I didnt care for the MTS they got too big for a small tank.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

I liked the Mini Ramshorn I had they were cute. They did breed fast though in a Betta tank. She ate them all though, now there are none. I didnt care for the MTS they got too big for a small tank.
Yea none of those are as cool as bladder snails. But they still work! I feel like my snails are a major part of the reason I can get away with neglecting my water changes the way I do lol.

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

Thank you to all of you for responding!!!

Your insight is very helpful!!!

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

Update: I got my plants today and just went ahead and put them in the tank.

They are wonderful! They arrived in a package with each plant in a media-type bag which was also in a plastic bag. I could not be more happy! The plants are beautiful!

I definitely will recommend Aquarium Co-Op!

Again, thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

MasterPython

If you have plants you want snails. What else is going to clean off every leaf and never require real care or attention?

Upvote 0

Marlene327

The whole back wall of my 40 gallon wide has been left covered with algae for too long because it's too hard to reach and clean. My "pest" snails I never wanted are all over it, trying to do my work for me!

I've bought plants from the co op 3 times, always happy. I've come to learn my tank will not support stem plants in that 40. There are 10 cories who insist they must be uprooted no matter what I do!
Having a knee replacement soon, will have a clean tank and trimmed plants the weekend before. After I'm healed in 2-3 months (I hope), I'll be buying some to fill in from them again. Meanwhile my tanks will be on low maintenance by my hubby, enough to keep the whole lot alive.

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

Good luck with your surgery!!!

And I am sure that he will do a good job!

I did buy a few of the easy planters, which they say will help with those fishies who love to dig up plants!

Upvote 0

Basil

Good luck with your surgery!!!

And I am sure that he will do a good job!

I did buy a few of the easy planters, which they say will help with those fishies who love to dig up plants!
I totally rescaped my barb tank (40 breeder) with anubias and java fern since the barbs were convinced they could “garden” better than me lol! I actually love that nothing is planted in the substrate.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Dipping has also never worked for me, even at concentrations above what is recommended. I stopped trying because I literally will get snails and hydra no matter what

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I have had pretty good luck with Alum. I didnt dip the last batch I got though.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Snail eggs really are hard to kill. We spend so much effort trying to keep something so beneficial out of our tanks because they're "ugly". Have any of you ever looked at a snail? They're adorable. "Oh but they'll get in my filter and break it!", I've never seen or even heard a credible anecdote about that happening. I literally cannot comprehend the opposition to them lol

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

I thought that they could wreck an ecosystem, but I guess that is all just bad information.

I just want my betta to be happy and healthy, and I am loving the look of these plants! So happy I got them, even if I get a few snails. I will just have to watch my little guy to make sure he doesn't pig out and get bloated! :)

Upvote 0

JHood

Oh but they'll get in my filter and break it!"

My fliter is the only place I've found pest snails. They've been there about a year or so. I dont bother them, they dont bother me.

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

I have read that it will take a minute for the plants to adjust to being under water. How long does it usually take before the leaves stop becoming discolored/falling off?

I am testing parameters every day, and sometimes I have nitrates, and sometimes it seems that the level of nitrates are down to below 5ppm's.

Will this make a differnce in the health of the plants?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

IME, it takes anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months for a plant to completely convert from emersed growth or submersed grown.

I honestly wouldn't be too concerned about the specific nitrate reading. Number chasing usually doesn't pay off unless you're doing a crazy high-tech setup. I'd just, in general, shoot to have SOME nitrates in the tank - for most people that's plenty.

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

So I finally went out and got some super glue gel (I made sure that I got the right kind for aquariums) and I have attached one of the anubias to the easy planter/rock.

The plant was looking a bit iffy, and losing leaves, but now I know that it will take time for it to acclimate to the tank. Hopefully, being out of that small black plant pot that they come in will do it some good.

Thanks to all of you who responded to this thread!

Upvote 0

Latest threads

Top Bottom