Quarantine New Plants

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grump299 said:
I’m planning on starting my first planted tank a 29g with a pea puffer.. I need to know is I plan on quarantining my plants befor I put them in but do I need to cycle the quarantine tank for plants or just conditioned water with prime or would water from my 75g be better..
I don't think you need to quarantine plants. Just rinse them off real well, remove any floss etc. from roots etc.
If you feel you need to quarantine them for some reason, they don't need a cycled tank. They do fine in fresh tap water. You may need to add ferts if their going to be in quarantine very long.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just want to quarantine because the one time I put a plant in my tank befor it had pest snails and I got them in my tank and what a pain to get them out so I don’t want that again.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Put I guess if I’m doing a puffer I shouldn’t have that to worry about lol

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thx for the info I’m sure I will have more to come the farther I get into the planing

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe plant QT and dipping is a wise move. It takes little effort and mitigates the risk of introducing ich, snails, planaria, etc.

I always do it. I do three days in aluminum sulfate but potassium permanganate is a more popular dip choice.

Dechlorinated water is all that's needed. Rinse well before and after, removing any snails and snail eggs when you find them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom