Quarantine Mini Cycle? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by pugletfan, Apr 10, 2018.

1. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

I put 5 panda cories in my 10 gallon quarantine tank on Saturday. Yesterday ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 .I added a dose of Prime to the tank. Today ammonia 0.5, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 . I added another dose of Prime. Fish look fine. I moved a small bag of biomedia from my cycled planted 29 gallon on Saturday to the quarantine tank hob. The 29 has only 5 harlequin raspboras, so a pretty small bioload. I'm guessing I should dose Prime every 24 hours to the quarantine tank and do water changes as needed to keep ammonia plus nitrite less than 1. I'm feeding the cories shrimp pellets, should maybe feed them less? Would feeding them 3 pellets once per day be good? I've been feeding them twice a day. (29 is cycled; 0/0/20).

2. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

i had the same thing happen... what i did was buy a big bottle of seachem stability and double the dose daily (i also used prime). it helped keep my ammonia in check. once the ammonia started looking closer to 1ppm, i did a pwc.

watch out for your nitrite. i handled the ammonia as above and about 4 days later, we noticed the fish hiding in the corner. ammonia was dead 0. tested nitrite on a hunch. PANIC because it was between 1-2ppm. i was lucky to have another cycled QT handy so we moved the fish and let the other QT do it's thing over the next week. it took about a week to catch up.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think you're fine with what you're doing. Feeding once daily or twice daily is your choice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice