Question Quarantine Meds For Cory Cats?

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I picked up 5 trilineatus at Petsmart today. Not the greatest place, but I have little choice right now. They are in a filtered and heated 10 gallon with lots of leaves and some tunnels to hide in.

Their water STANK when I netted them out of it. I know a good aquarium stink and this was not it!

I've always lost 2 or 3 fish whenever I buy from places like this. So my question is: would you medicate proactively? Or wait for a problem to crop up and hope you catch it in time? If you medicate, please share what you use and your QT regimen?

Thanks!

Antonian

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I picked up 5 trilineatus at Petsmart today. Not the greatest place, but I have little choice right now. They are in a filtered and heated 10 gallon with lots of leaves and some tunnels to hide in.

Their water STANK when I netted them out of it. I know a good aquarium stink and this was not it!

I've always lost 2 or 3 fish whenever I buy from places like this. So my question is: would you medicate proactively? Or wait for a problem to crop up and hope you catch it in time? If you medicate, please share what you use and your QT regimen?

Thanks!
Image1564449040.970158.jpg
I keep a few medications on hand but I like to keep my new fish in a 20g for about 4 to 6 weeks with not much in the tank so I can keep an eye on them. I tend to run a week of general cure then followed by large water changes then I switch to treating with Maracyn for a week. I only use the ich-x if I see any dots it can stain anything in the tank so I try to use it when only needed. Hope this helps everybody has different quarantine requirements this is just what iv done and works for me good luck!

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
View attachment 576545 I keep a few medications on hand but I like to keep my new fish in a 20g for about 4 to 6 weeks with not much in the tank so I can keep an eye on them. I tend to run a week of general cure then followed by large water changes then I switch to treating with Maracyn for a week. I only use the ich-x if I see any dots it can stain anything in the tank so I try to use it when only needed. Hope this helps everybody has different quarantine requirements this is just what iv done and works for me good luck!
Thank you! I asked about the Aquarium Co-op meds on Facebook and got all negative answers :/ I understand about immunity to meds but I just hate that I lose fish...by the time I see something wrong and research what it could be, the poor thing can't be helped.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Occassionally I trade fish in at my favorite mom & pop fish store. The owner puts my fish in a display tank, then measures out & administers "Melafix".
He's very unorthodoxed, but has been in business a long time. Lol.
If your local Petsmart is like mine, they run Seachem's Cupramine through their system as a preventative.

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Occassionally I trade fish in at my favorite mom & pop fish store. The owner puts my fish in a display tank, then measures out & administers "Melafix".
He's very unorthodoxed, but has been in business a long time. Lol.
If your local Petsmart is like mine, they run Seachem's Cupramine through their system as a preventative.
Thanks, I didn't even think to ask if they medicate their fish! I'll ask next time I stop in. I've tried melafix before but it's never worked for anything I used it for For now they've got lots of leaves and alder cones. So far everybody's swimming around calmly so I'll think about what to do, if anything.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I only medicate when needed, and that is very rare.
Be sure to hand pick every new fish. Watch closely for symptoms of disease. Ask the employee to feed the fish to ensure they are eating. Last point, pick the meanest most aggressive fish in the tank. Lol.

Kmshyamsunder

Reaction score
After long years close 30 years of fish keeping found that all the fancy medications are derived from antibiotics used by humans in a diluted form if 100 milli grams is used by us then for the fish is it 5 milligrams for 5 gallons. Generally they are all from tetracycline or ampicllin or amoxicillin types .
You can check those sites government sites that deal in commercial fisheries they are more authentic to get a feel.

Also any fish medicine that contains copper or nitrogen based medicines are always risky if you have different fishes in your tank

Check the medicine contents and check on the net

My treatment though might sound weird always works.

I add a fistfull of kosher salt for every 20 gallons whoever I make water changes or 50 grams of natural rock salt and my tank mates are all happy

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom