Quarantine For Plants?

-Sofia-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can I quarantine plants? I want to get a Java fern but I'm worried about snails/snail eggs.
How would I do this? Are there any other ways I can help to prevent it? I've heard about "bleach dip"
But I don't know if it's safe.
Thank you for any replies in advance.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
java fern would be okay to do a bleach dip with if you are willing, but the best way to avoid snails is to go with a tissue cultured java fern. these are plants grown in lab sterile containers. Currently, i only know of dennerle offering tissue cultured java fern.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Its safe as long as you use the correct bleach/water ratio. You can a visual inspection looking for snails and eggs and then to the bleach dip. Another option is a potassium permanganate dip. There is one last substance which is supposed to be very easy on the plants but I forgot the name.

Finally if you really want to be sure about it you can leave the plants in a separate container after you made sure there are no live snails on them and wait for a week or so. In case there were any hidden egg clusters they will hatch and you will see babies dancing around. You can even throw some food into the container to attract any living creatures, if nothing goes to the food you know you will be safe.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BeanFish said:
Its safe as long as you use the correct bleach/water ratio
Is that 1 part bleach to 19 parts water? I've read that ratio, just confirming.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A potassium permanganate solution is much easier. Leave the plants in a bucket of the solution for a day, then neutralize with some dechlorinator.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CraniumRex said:
I normally do 1:10....

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
endlercollector said:
A potassium permanganate solution is much easier. Leave the plants in a bucket of the solution for a day, then neutralize with some dechlorinator.
Could you elaborate on the potassium permanganate method? Have you found it to be gentler and therefore safer than bleach?

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
stella1979 said:
Could you elaborate on the potassium permanganate method? Have you found it to be gentler and therefore safer than bleach?
It is definitely less harsh than bleach on plants while killing critters. You'll use only 1/4 tsp of potassium permanganate per gallon of tap water (don't dechlorinate it). Use gloves as it can burn skin.

-Sofia-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you all! I see I have many options, so
1:10 parts (water to bleach)
Or
1/4 tsp potassium permanganate per gallon of tap water
Right? (Just confirming)

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
endlercollector said:
That's what I used to do, worked every time. You can order online for like $5.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Been bleach dipping for over 41 years. Its 100% safe.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
CraniumRex said:
Yep. Thats what I used in the rare occasions I quarantined them, never killed a plant.

-Sofia-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just got a plant labeled "tropica fern" it looks similar to a Java fean and I think it is, but how long do I leave the plant in the bleach dip?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tropica refers to the name of the company, I'm guessing you picked up a java fern. Just leave it for a few minutes. 5 minutes is what i do.

-Sofia-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DutchAquarium said:
Tropica refers to the name of the company, I'm guessing you picked up a java fern. Just leave it for a few minutes. 5 minutes is what i do.
Oh thank you! I thought it was called a tropica fern Thanks again!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom