Quarantine For Otos?

Zach B.

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't have a quarantine tank but I do have a 5 gallon with a betta and a mystery snail. I plan to put the otos into my 29 gallon tank. I was thinking of moving my betta into my 29 gallon and adding the otos into the 5 gallon. I plan to get 8 otos . should I risk putting wild caught otos into my 29 gallon tank I have $300 worth of fish in there right now, or try to quarantine them in the 5 gallon tank?

To make sure the otos don't starve ill add rocks from my 29 gallon that are covered in algae, indian almond leaves, blanched veggies, and algae wafers. I know 8 otos in a 5 gallon is overstocked but I will monitor the water quality closely and do extra water changes.

please don't try and persuade me against getting otos I am well studied on what I am getting into.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What is currently in the 29 gallon aquarium? Do you know the temperament of the betta? If you are adding a betta to a 29 gallon, you should make sure it would work out first. A 5 gallon would be a suitable quarantine tank, however, you could also set up a plastic tub to use for quarantine and seed it with established filter media.

Zach B.

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have dwarf chain loaches, black harlequin rasboras, and cardinal tetras. The loaches mostly stay at the bottom of the tank and I keep the tank at 78-79 degrees. The loaches would be the only one I am worried about but I think they will be ok with the betta. I will test the betta in the 29 for a week before I buy otos.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom