Quarantine For Otos?

Zach B.

I don't have a quarantine tank but I do have a 5 gallon with a betta and a mystery snail. I plan to put the otos into my 29 gallon tank. I was thinking of moving my betta into my 29 gallon and adding the otos into the 5 gallon. I plan to get 8 otos . should I risk putting wild caught otos into my 29 gallon tank I have $300 worth of fish in there right now, or try to quarantine them in the 5 gallon tank?

To make sure the otos don't starve ill add rocks from my 29 gallon that are covered in algae, indian almond leaves, blanched veggies, and algae wafers. I know 8 otos in a 5 gallon is overstocked but I will monitor the water quality closely and do extra water changes.

please don't try and persuade me against getting otos I am well studied on what I am getting into.

FlipFlopFishFlake

What is currently in the 29 gallon aquarium? Do you know the temperament of the betta? If you are adding a betta to a 29 gallon, you should make sure it would work out first. A 5 gallon would be a suitable quarantine tank, however, you could also set up a plastic tub to use for quarantine and seed it with established filter media.

Zach B.

I have dwarf chain loaches, black harlequin rasboras, and cardinal tetras. The loaches mostly stay at the bottom of the tank and I keep the tank at 78-79 degrees. The loaches would be the only one I am worried about but I think they will be ok with the betta. I will test the betta in the 29 for a week before I buy otos.

DoubleDutch

Ask the LFS if they quarantined them and if yes for how long. Great fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom