Qt'ing Safe For Kuhlis?

Loachland

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, all! I have a solitary Black Kuhli loach in my display tank, and I'm just now reaching the culmination of my plot to bring him some friends. However, there's a slight hitch in the plan.

I'm QTing with a 10 gallon that I seeded with filter media from the display tank. As of today (or possibly yesterday, since I test every other day), I appear to be cycled! This was already good news, but as it turns out my LFS just got a shipment of Black Kuhli. The pieces were all falling into place, until I heard it's a bad idea to place kuhlis in a biologically immature setup.

Now, I really want to give these guys the best lives possible, because A) they've already endured enough stress and B) I take fish loss pretty hard. But I also don't want to wait around forever to get the Black Kuhli in my display tank some friends. It could take a long time for the QT to be biologically mature.

What do you recommend? Have you successfully QT'd kuhlis? Is there any extra precautions I can take to reduce stress, disease, and fish loss? Thank you!

MoshJosh

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve got 3 Kuhlis, I put them in a brand new un-cycled tank from the get go and had no issues with them (I knew nothing about cycling at the time). . . They are now in my 75 gal. . . and I never see them.

Loachland

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yay that they stayed safe! Thanks for responding! I tend to think real life is more forgiving of errors than forums would suggest, but I still want to be on the safe side.

Anyone else got personal anecdotes or wisdom on the matter?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom