Qt

1. Andrew Sackett Member Member

I'm planning on getting a blood parrot from a big chain store today because MLFS does not carry them, and I was wondering if a 5 gallon is big enough to to put him in before he goes into the main tank I'm not sure of the 5 gallon is cycled yet I've been dropping flakes in for the last couple of weeks and I have old filter media in there I could test the water, so should I put him in my main tank just by looking to see if there's and signs of illness or observe him in the 5 gallon if it is cycled?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

You could always ask your LFS to order them for you. Mine ordered kuhli loaches for me even before I needed them and they are already selling some.

3. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Forgot to mention the blood parrot is very small right now

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Blueszz Well Known Member Member

How small is very small?
    A 5 gallon minus sand/gravel and decoration (hiding spots) will be less than 5 gallon, and 5 gallon is small for a BP, even when they are let's say 1 inch. The are messy fish and pollute a lot.
    If you need something for quarantine you might want to look at something bigger, for instance a big storage container, bucket etc.
    For a one inch parrot I wouldn't use anything smaller than 10 gallon to be honest, not because of the size of the fish but because they are very messy :)