Qt With Carbon?

1. Daniellevictoria

Daniellevictoria New Member Member

Hey everyone:) i have a couple questions regarding setting up a quarantine tank.

1. I have a recently cycled tank (few weeks cycled), it has a carbon pouch in it, if i take this out and stuff my filter with more filter floss, will it damage the cycle? (I have an aquaclear20 filter)

2. If i do take the carbon out, can that be used to cycle a new tank?

3. The tank i plan to use to quarantine is small. (For tiny fish) It wouldnt be unreasonable for me to do even 100% water changes every day. Would it be possible to just change the water and use it uncycled? Should i still put a filter on it if i do that?

Thank you for any input!!!!

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

1. The biomax/biological filter media in the Aquaclear should be where most of the benificial bacteria in the filter, so no.

2. It can, but not a lot (compared to biological filtration) of the BB live on it, but it still can be used to cycle a new tank.

3. Would only do 75% maximum water changes a day. The new water could be a different temperature and it is stressful for the fish to be moved out during the water change every day.

3. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Everything that has the most surface area will have beneficial bacteria in it. That includes the sponge, carbon, and best of all bio media which has lots of tiny pores.

1. If you still have the sponge and bio media left in then it should be fine.
    2. Yes but not as effective and quick as say bio media or sponge.
    3. Either one should work but I'd recommend using a filter with bio media to be safe.

4. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

A quick word of caution: in a very newly cycled tank, like yours, removing the carbon/floss cartridge can indeed disrupt your cycle. The bacteria live where they live, and some of them will likely be on that well-oxygenated filter pad. Until the bio filter matures, you really cannot be certain that removing the pad won't cause a cycle bump. Later on, this won't be a big deal, but I would suggest seeding/maturing some extra bio media in your filter for a while and using that, instead.

You'll likely be fine either way, but there is a small risk.
    Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    Daniellevictoria

Daniellevictoria New Member Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I knew taking media from a well established filter is ok, but the newness of my cycle was what concerned me. I also wasnt sure if the carbon held onto any bacteria-which is kind of silly. Theres not much room left in my filter to put in anything extra to be able to later take out, so if i end up with any fishy friends prior to cycling the small tank, ill just change/test/monitor the water.

Thanks again:)