QT Time - Thoughts?

  1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

    Hello all! I just wanted to get your opinion on something.

    If you have new fish in QT and those fish get sick BUT you are able to treat it successfully - does QT start all over again once they've recovered? Another 4-8 weeks?

    I feel like, if my ranchus come through this, QT will be doing more harm than good. I wasn't really prepared for the third ranchu and so I have three of them in a 20 long for QT. They're still small, about 3" with fins, but they are bigger than my other fish and have a lot of body mass. Sayuri is in a separate 10g right now, but they're all so bonded that it's hard to split them up. Sayuri is alone in the 10g right now and she's definitely more skittish/easy to startle while alone. When together, they are ALWAYS together. I don't mind having to do the tons of WCs in the 20g to maintain toxin buildup. I'm just wondering if maybe it's better I just get everyone into the 75g.

    My other option is to setup the 75g, move over the guys from the 29g, and use the 29g as QT for the ranchus. That way there will be more water volume. So options are....

    1) Get everyone into the 75g ASAP.
    2) Continue to maintain QT and tanks as they are for the duration of a new QT period, doing large WCs and buying cycled filters to help with ammonia/nitrite.
    3) Move the healthy guys in the 29g into the 75g and use the 29g to re-start the QT period post-illness for the ranchus.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

    I am confused about the timeline on this. You have a 75 gallon tank... why aren't the first batch of goldies in it already? There's no need to QT fish that you got at the same time from the same place.

    What do the ranchus have?

    Personally when I QT fish that turn up sick, I complete a full treatment for their illness, whatever it may be, and move them to their permanent tank when they are healthy, just like I would if a single fish in one of my tanks fell ill.
     

  3. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

    Okay - let me give you the breakdown. I held off on moving the guys from the 29g for a couple of reasons. One, the stand was taking forever to build- some things went awry. Now that's been remedied but the guys I have in the 29g are teeny tiny, 2" and under fins included, and I'd been doing a lot of reading on young goldfish and water depth esp as two of them have had buoyancy issues alleviated by water level. They're not in QT at all. This is their home, fully cycled, as they grow, until I move them to the 75g. But now I just want to get them in the 75g too, even if I have to keep the water level low.

    The ranchus are new. Hobby-grade and breeder bought. A week and a half ago, two weeks after I got them, two of the three came down with freaking septicemia! Of all the terrible things. They're still at the end of their treatment, and are almost recovered completely, One appears to be completely recovered, the other still has a bit of popeye lingering. By the time treatment is completed, I will have had them in QT for 4 weeks. I wanted to shoot for 6 weeks BUT I really just want them all in the 75g. I just don't want to risk infecting my other fish.

    That's why I was wondering if QT needs to start all over once and illness has crossed the tanks.
     
  4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

    I would wait and monitor until there are no more additional symptoms and monitor for two additional weeks. Your treatment choice was Kanamycin, this is a broad spectrum antibiotic which should of wiped out almost anything bacterial on or in your fish. I would monitor for parasites, aeronomas, nematodes and flagellates now, though since you have had them for 4 weeks, these parasites should have caused complications already as well. Did you do the prazi treatment to rid them of flukes and parasites ?
     

  5. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

    I started to but I had to interrupt it because the seeded media wasn't quite enough to instantly cycle their tank and a water change was imminent, so I'll need to run it again once I have those cycled sponge filters in place. Hershey's also still got those two injuries from transport and I don't want to leave him sitting in unchanged water for too long.

    An additional two weeks post-treatment sounds like a good number. It'll give me time to get cycled filters in place and run a complete prophylactic Prazi after they've been given a little time to recuperate from the Kanamycin.
     
  6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

    Are your other fish already in the 75 gallon? Just curious... Otherwise I'm with Riv. Finish treatment, make sure they're healthy, and get them in a larger water volume :)
     
  7. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

    The other guys are not yet in the 75g. There's a couple reasons for that. Things went awry with the stand, a lot of trouble getting it level. Also, when I bought the ranchus, the breeder instructed me that they were too small to handle the depth of the 75g. The guys in the 29g are significantly smaller than the ranchus, so that got me thinking that maybe the rule would be the same for them and I should try to grow them out a bit. I did some reading on it and came to the conclusion that one day I want a goldfish tank that's 10 or 20 feet long, two feet deep and only about 16 inches high lol.

    However, they seem to have no issues with the depth of the 29g which isn't that far off from the depth of the 75g. I can always lower the water level a little and I've devised a plan to "raise" the floor of the tank sort of so they don't have to dive all the way down to go about their goldfish business. Basically, the bottom 6" of the tank will be devoid of anything and I'm creating a higher floor for them to pick around through by using tall, terracotta pots and wide bowls. So I'm just going to get them in the 75g and move the ranchus when they've had some recovery time.