QT tank size for angels

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by kinezumi89, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some angels through a friend (in which case they'd be clean and happy), but if plans don't work out, I'll be getting them from my LFS. If they're roughly nickel to quarter size (I'm assuming that's just the body, not including the fins?) could I quarantine them in a 5.5 gallon tank for a few weeks, or would that be too small? I'll get a picture next time I go to the LFS, as I may be describing the size wrong. Is there any size angel that could be quarantined in a 5.5 gallon? I would move a cycled filter over from another tank.

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

You are correct the coin sizes refer to just the body. I qt'd six dimes and nickels in a ten awhile back for about 2 weeks at which point they were closer to quarters and nickels. They started getting a little pecky towards eachother so I put them in the display and it stopped. I think they were cramped in the ten.

So imo, it depends on the number you get but I wouldn't do the 5.5 in any case, I'd go for a ten minumum for juvies.

Eta: I forgot to mention while they were in qt I was doing every other day pwcs because of the crowding even though the filter was cycled.

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Woops, I forgot to mention how many! Just two of them. Do you think two would still be too much for a 5.5, with frequent pwcs? If it's feasible, I'd like to do it soon since I'm on winter break and would have the time to do frequent water changes and keep an eye on them.

4. Matt B

I guess its feasible, I would just worry about keeping parameters stable and possibly them getting a little nippy towards eachother in such tight quarters. No way I could talk you into buying a 10g prom petco or something for $11? :;tea

5. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Haha I've definitely already thought of that :p Not sure if Petco is having their dollar-per-gallon sale soon though, and I'd want to get them soon so I could quarantine them during break. Also, I only have a 50GPH internal filter that I could move, though for only two tiny angels, that might be enough :;dk

6. Matt B

With good upkeep and a turkey baster you could squeek by with that filter imo. Normal price for 10's out here is about $11, so hopefully you should be able to get one for around that regardless of sales.

7. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks for your input Matt :)

8. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I've got my 4 babies in a 10 just fine.

9. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Soo...what are your thoughts on two in a 5.5? Maybe I should make a poll :p Obviously getting a 10 wouldn't be a huuuge pain, but it would be more money to spend and more space to take up. Not really sure where I would put it.

10. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I think two dimes and nickels are okay in a 5.5g for QT purposes as long as you keep up with water maintenance.

You can get a 10g from PetCo for $13 and return it if you are not please with a 10g being a QT tank (hint).

11. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Haha clever ;) I'll have to keep that in mind. :)

12. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Okay good. I was hoping you would get my "hint"

13. oscardude

oscardudeValued MemberMember

I have 3 nickle/quarter size in a 20 QT. I think 2 would be fine in a 5.5 QT for a few weeks. Just my .02ยข.

14. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks for your thoughts :) Hard to decide...I can easily fit a 5.5 on my desk, already own it and a lid. I'm on winter break so it would be easy for me to do 50% water changes every day for a month. But I wouldn't want there to be problems if the space wasn't big enough...I think I'll be going to the LFS tomorrow, I'll put my hand against the tank and take a picture so you can see how big they are. They seem pretty tiny to me! :)

Hmm another thought...I wonder if I would WANT some of the bigger ones? They have two tanks, one with tiny ones and one with bigger ones. The rainbows and platies are getting kinda big, and I wouldn't want them to bully the tiny angels and their wispy fins...

15. Matt B

If you end up getting an adult you can just skip the 10g and go straight to a big plastic tub.

I was worried about my little angels when I put them in with my big (4") barbs. Even at quarter size it was like the barbs knew they were predatory/higher on the food chain type fish, they would part their whole school for one tiny little angel coming through, pretty cute.

16. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Hmm I know people suggest it all the time, but I would feel so strange keeping fish in a tupperware container haha. They wouldn't be adults, they're only a little bit bigger. I'll get pictures tomorrow. :)

17. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Well not only did I get pictures, I also got fish! And a ten gallon and another heater (forgot about that, I don't think my new angels would like to be at 63F). Unfortunately the employee dropped the bag on the floor...I hope they're okay :( They're still swimming around and look fine enough. Expect pictures (and a new thread) when I get home! :)

18. kb9plc

kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

19. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I think temporary is okay.

I plan on getting one Angel after the first of the year and all I have is a 5 gallon tank which I use for QT. So thats what I will be using............. ;)

20. oscardude

oscardudeValued MemberMember

I would have had them replace the fish if they dropped them. But if they are ok then dont worry about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice