Qt Tank Finally Cycled, Is It Safe? Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Pete Des, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Pete Des

Pete DesValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    I currently have a 75 gallon with
    • 1 blue tang
    • 2 clown fish
    • 2 damsels
    • 1 chocolate chip starfish
    • 1 goby
    • 1 valentini puffer

Now, my blue tang had ich and then it went away. No current visible signs. My 32 gallon QT tank is finally cycled. Would it be too much of shock to the new tank to add all the fish in? How should I do it? Thanks.

2. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +9,574
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    As far as the cycle is concerned, it would really depend on 'strong' or 'big' the bacterial colony is. If you did a fishless cycle using ammonia, you would know that this tank is cycled up to 1ppm, 2ppm, or even 4-8ppm ammonia. So, how much ammonia can the tank process all the way to nitrates in a single day? That answer will tell you how much of a load the QT tank's new cycle can handle.

Sorry:sorry::sorry::sorry: I know you didn't ask about this, but the 75g is quite possibly overstocked as is, and if it is not currently, it definitely will be someday, mostly because of and depending on the size of the tang. Minimum tank size for a Dory fish is about 200g as they grow to a foot long. Even if he is a juvie, he'll need room to grow pretty soon. Tangs are more prone to ich than other fish, and a lowered immunity due to stress from a small environment will leave the fish even more susceptible to disease.

What else is in the 75g? What will you use to treat ich? I'm not imagining corals or inverts with the stock you've listed, so I wonder why you wouldn't treat in the 75g? Personally, I think I'd move the seastar and any other inverts that wouldn't survive treatment to the QT and treat the fish in the DT. This may not be the best practice in most cases, but if you don't have inverts or corals to worry about, it seems best not to cut the tang's tank size in half.

Again, I'm sorry for stepping on your toes, and know you didn't ask for half of this information, but I just hope to help however I can. Good luck!