QT tank/filter setup

Plecolover4477
I have a question,and I think I might know the answer but there is no shame in asking a dumb question...as that saying goes.I have sterilite container which is graded food safe,for which I plan to use as a qt tank for sick fish or before I add new fish.I purchased a sponge filter,heater and another air pump along with an air stone for extra aeration..but in the meantime since my main display tank is going through a fish-in cycle I was wondering any ideas on how I can begin to establish that sponge filter to have for use in qt tank in case of emergency?Also,if the emergency arises where my fish got sick during the fish in cycle and I have to remove them before the sponge filter for the qt tank is cycled..will it cause harm to them if i had do an emergency QT tank setup with the uncycled sponge filter?Please your feedback is greatly appreciated and thankyou in advance.

richiep
I'd put the sponge in the tank your cycling at the moment and leave it in there until its needed, when you do need it take the sponge and water from that tank into your quarantine tank,or at least ½fill and use treated water for the other half, that way its no different to doing a water change and won't affect the filter

Advertisement
Plecolover4477
I have a question,and I think I might know the answer but there is no shame in asking a dumb question...as that saying goes.I have sterilite container which is graded food safe,for which I plan to use as a qt tank for sick fish or before I add new fish.I purchased a sponge filter,heater and another air pump along with an air stone for extra aeration..but in the meantime since my main display tank is going through a fish-in cycle I was wondering any ideas on how I can begin to establish that sponge filter to have for use in qt tank in case of emergency?Also,if the emergency arises where my fish got sick during the fish in cycle and I have to remove them before the sponge filter for the qt tank is cycled..will it cause harm to them if i had do an emergency QT tank setup with the uncycled sponge filter?Please your feedback is greatly appreciated and thankyou in advance.
I'd put the sponge in the tank your cycling at the moment and leave it in there until its needed, when you do need it take the sponge and water from that tank into your quarantine tank,or at least ½fill and use treated water for the other half, that way its no different to doing a water change and won't affect the filter
got it ...so now should I just put the sponge itself(detach it from the strainer and base)in my tank and as you said I can leave it in there while the tank is still cycling.Just wanna make sure I'm following exact directions.

Attachments

• 20200913_154318.jpg
    20200913_154318.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200913_153626.jpg
    20200913_153626.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 38
richiep
No put it in as a working filter set it up to the pump and place anywhere it needs to be running

Plecolover4477
No put it in as a working filter set it up to the pump and place anywhere it needs to be running
is it possible of too much filtration?

richiep
not with that little one filtration will be fine

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views
Mick Frost
Replies
Views