Qt? Sick Guppy? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by Billy T, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Billy T

Billy T Valued Member Member

A couple weeks ago moved a Guppy to my Dads tank. He has seemed to been doing well. Today when I stopped by to feed, he was floating at the top and spine seemed kind of bent. He would occasionally swim after food but not much. I’ve never set up a QT tank, but have seen you could use sterolite or Rubbermaid bins. It wouldn’t be cycled and I do have a never used internal filter for a 10G. What to do?

2. Initiate

Initiate Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    This spine bending disease is usually caused on guppies by their long tails that weigh the back down and curves their spine. I would euthanise him because his quality of life has been degraded.

3. OP
    OP
    Billy T

That’s crazy it can happen that fast,I’ve had him a month

4. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Wow after searching I see more of this happening overnight, just not fair. What is most peaceful euthanization?

5. OP
    OP
    Billy T

And I’ve seen it’s contagious. Is this just to Guppies or all other fish? There is neons, green Cory’s, and a pictus in the tank

6. OP
    OP
    Billy T

So I come over to check on him and he’s straitened up, swimming like normal but the pictus catfish is dead. What the heck?

7. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Well IDK! Don’t know what to do

image.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If you have colive oil you can euthanize him that way. Or just smush him. That’s quick.

9. J

JeanTheGeek New Member Member

Get a small container filled with water and a ton of ice. Stir and let it sit for a few mins until the water gets super cold. Then scoop him out and put him in the ice water. He'll get a shock due to the cold temperature and die almost instantly. I've done that with my guppies when there's no clove oil.

10. OP
    OP
    Billy T

So you all think it’s his time?

11. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You could try to QT him and see if there are meds for this condition. But at the end is it worth the trouble?

12. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Yeah well just making sure. Had to move him from my tank to my Dads house a couple weeks ago. This resulted in my 7 year old daughter crying for an hour and making a poster telling him she will miss him.(And this is her Grandpa, not some strangers house where she would never see it again) But guess it will just be an unfortunate situation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice