Qt Setup Plans

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So now that I am getting ready to stock my tank, I'm now looking at setting up my QT. This is what I'm thinking, please let me know if you see anything amiss.

I have a 5 gallon tank that I had a betta in. His tank was cycled, but he died by choking on a pellet. The tank had a DIY filter I made. I still plan on giving the tank to my mom for her to have a betta, and I plan on picking up a 10 gal at petco to use as QT. I have added a submersible filter to seed for my mom, and am keeping it cycled with ammonia.

So giving to mom:
5 gallon tank
Submersible filter
Tetra heater 5-15 gal, auto set

Using as my QT
10 gal
DIY filter
Aqueon heater, 50 watt adjustable

Since this is planned to be a QT for new fish, I'm going to have a simple substrate and a couple fake plants for hiding places. Should I just use sand? I find it easier to clean and see debris.

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You don't even need substrate for QT, and when I had one I went with a 10 gallon with 2 clay pots. If you wanted substrate, sand would probably be better than gravel.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't do substrate either (unless you're QTing cories, then a very small layer of sand is enough). In addition to (or instead of) fake plants, you can use spawning mops and PVC pipes.

OP
AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are spawning mops?

I wanted it to be "comfortable" since it's for new fish that (hopefully) aren't sick. Or does that really not matter? The fish that will be in qt will be a school of fish and then a pair of GBR.
If and when I have to use it as a hospital qt I would do bare bottom.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They're made from yarn:

Those fish will be fine with a bare bottom, and it really does make it easier on you to clean the tank (and treat it if necessary!).

OP
AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Spawning mops...interesting!

Well that makes it easier. I'll possibly have 1 Cory in qt for a little while, but I was planning on putting him in the spare 5 I'm giving to my mom (she'll get it when he's put in the big tank) that way I can also put the school in the 10 at the same time. I expect to qt them longer anyway.

I've got both the filters (DIY and mom's sub) in the 5 cycling, or keeping the cycle from the betta. And I picked up the 10 tonight, and came out of petco in the middle of a full on thunder and lightning downpour! . And I didn't go last Sunday because of the rain!!!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, we're supposed to be getting rain for the next few days! Didn't get too much today though.

OP
AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It was barely sprinkling when I left the house, when I left petco it had started to rain, by the time I was done at the grocery store the lightning and thunder were serious! I followed an 18 wheeler home at 35-45 mph on interstate for 18 miles. And we were passing everyone!

It's still raining this morning ️

New Threads