Question Qt Setup Advice Please

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really need to set up a QT tank. Although I'm not planning on many more additions I don't want to take chances and if any fish become ill I need to treat out of the main tank. I'm wondering what size to set up and what needs to run constantly as opposed to what can be switched on when in use.

I have a pair of green spotted puffers in full marine, as adults they will be 6" so my largest fish. The other marine tank is reef, currently a pair of clowns, a fire shrimp, a royal gramma, and a bubble tip nem. I'll be adding a pom pom crab, a small goby, more nems, and some shrooms and leathers. What size is best considering the puffers may need a week or two of treatment if they become ill? New fish will be small but likely kept in there for a month.

I use NSW, should I leave water and live rock then do a WC to freshen up before use? Is a good airstone that really agitates the surface enough for flow and aeration and can this just be turned on when it's inhabited or is it required all the time? Is it worth setting up a small sump system for it? Thank you!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope our salty members can help you today

Reactions: AZL

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Giving this a bump up for you hope our salty members can help you today
Thank you! Not a big panic as puffers aren't getting tank mates until their tank is upgraded if at all and no corals in with them and reef tank is stocked with fish that all came out of the same tank which is the one my live rock came from and only adding one more fish and crab from the same tank. This is just in case any get sick really.

Tony_097

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A simple 10g with an hob filter and some bio media like marine pure is a simple,inexpensive and effective set up

Top Bottom