QT questions!!!!

trackguy77

Whats up Fishlore,I have 10 gallon QT setup for some recent new fish.My question is should I do a preventative dosing especially for internal parasites or should I wait after the two week observation period?I'd also just like to add my current fish med cabinet consists of:
Seachem Paraguard
Seachem Stressguard
Prazipro
Ich-X
API Melafix
Fritz Paraclense/Maracyn...
If preventative dosing was the choice,any suggestion on which one to use???

ChrissFishes01

I'd personally go ahead and treat with prazipro/metronidazole OR General Cure (which has both of them in there). Internal parasites can be extremely easy to ID for some people, and for others, it flies under the radar entirely until the fish succumbs down the road. Metro and prazi are both gentle meds, so I don't find there to be much of a reason to avoid treating with them, personally.

Any fish (with the exception of truly-salt sensitive species) I get gets treated with 1 tbsp of salt per 2 gallons of water. That'll usually kill off a lot of external parasites, and is gentle enough on most fish. I keep that dosage for 14 days, and then water change it out. I do it for everything from cories to gourami to tetras to puffers.

Upvote 0

trackguy77

I'd personally go ahead and treat with prazipro/metronidazole OR General Cure (which has both of them in there). Internal parasites can be extremely easy to ID for some people, and for others, it flies under the radar entirely until the fish succumbs down the road. Metro and prazi are both gentle meds, so I don't find there to be much of a reason to avoid treating with them, personally.

Any fish (with the exception of truly-salt sensitive species) I get gets treated with 1 tbsp of salt per 2 gallons of water. That'll usually kill off a lot of external parasites, and is gentle enough on most fish. I keep that dosage for 14 days, and then water change it out. I do it for everything from cories to gourami to tetras to puffers.
Thanks ChrissFishes01 I was kinda back and fourth with it but I might go ahead with the prazi
Thanks ChrissFishes01 I was kinda back and fourth with it but I might go ahead with the prazi
Now one more thing I've read and see in other forums that prazi pro doesn't impact beneficial bacteria negatively...Do you know if that's true???

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Now one more thing I've read and see in other forums that prazi pro doesn't impact beneficial bacteria negatively...Do you know if that's true???
Prazi should have 0 impact on BB. It's an antiparasitic, so in reasonable dosages it shouldn't be harmful to bacteria. I've seen it said that prazi will actually cause bacteria blooms, sometimes, so it may in fact do the exact opposite of hurt BB.

Upvote 0

trackguy77

Prazi should have 0 impact on BB. It's an antiparasitic, so in reasonable dosages it shouldn't be harmful to bacteria. I've seen it said that prazi will actually cause bacteria blooms, sometimes, so it may in fact do the exact opposite of hurt BB.
oh ok sounds good..its a only a 10 gallon QT.I know it says that you should perform a 25%water change before dosing.But i just setup the QT on Friday so do I still need to do a water change before dosing???

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

I preventively treat new fish. Having seen where they come from and the conditions, I just assume they are sick with SOMETHING and want it gone as soon as possible.

I use the Aquarium Co-op method and it works well. If you get new fish frequently, then go on their website and get the BIG containers of the meds. You'll save a LOT off the local store prices! (I have to pay $18 for 10 packets of general cure locally and that only treats a 60g half way! (Obviously, 60g is too big for QT for most fish, but that is what I have.)

Upvote 0

trackguy77

I preventively treat new fish. Having seen where they come from and the conditions, I just assume they are sick with SOMETHING and want it gone as soon as possible.

I use the Aquarium Co-op method and it works well. If you get new fish frequently, then go on their website and get the BIG containers of the meds. You'll save a LOT off the local store prices! (I have to pay $18 for 10 packets of general cure locally and that only treats a 60g half way! (Obviously, 60g is too big for QT for most fish, but that is what I have.)
Ive tried the observation method and even when they seem ok and eating you still never know

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Ive tried the observation method and even when they seem ok and eating you still never know
Yeah, I think that can work, but I always worry that I just didn't notice something.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom