QT question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Fashooga, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I have a QT for new fish, thanks to this forum. I currently have in there one Peral Gouarmi and six Pristella Tetras that are currently being housed in the QT. In about 3-4 weeks, if none have any problems I'll move them into the main tank.

Question...I should replace the water in the QT and treat it like any other tank, right?

2. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

that is correct. and congrats on the QT, very smart.

3. OP
    OP
    Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You think maybe 2 gallons is enough water to replace? It's a 10 gallon QT.

Thanks, Yeah started the QT awhile ago after two of the three rosy barbs I got at Petsmart had that stupid cotton mouth disease in which two lost their mouth. The last one is doing well...that little jerk is fun to look at. They were Petsmart fish.

I also decided that while Petsmart is cheaper, I've had better luck with LFS that are healthy and stuff. I'm probably paying more but the black fins I got back about 5 months ago are healthy...knock on wood.

4. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

I do 50% water changes /7-9 days on all tanks including QT.

2 years ago I bought some Cardinals from Petsmart because they had them on sale for a $1 ea. Back then my 10g QT had a dwarf puffer in it but I had a 15g that I was trying plants for the first time and it housed a male betta. I figured it would work as a QT and the only loss could be one fish...Better than putting the whole community at risk, right?

Within a few hours one of the cardinals died. By the next morning my betta was covered with columnaris and so were a few cardnals. A few hours later the affected fish had died. Totally reaffirmed my thoughts on QT.

Took the dead cardnalss back and got replaced. I tried but they wouldn't replace my betta though. I also bought a few more cards and treated the 15g for columnaris and all 10 cards are still alive today.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice