QT-ing plants Question

1. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

When it comes to quarantining plants that don't come in a tube or what not to make sure no pests come into my tank. What should I look for or what are some of your more common methods to treating the plants before putting them into the aquarium environment?

What are some common pest problems or hitch hikers I might find?

What are the methods to get rid of or control them you have found useful.

New to plants, doing my own research, but looking for pointers

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Most people use a plant dip with either potassium permanganate or alum. I prefer the alum method as it's easy to find locally at grocery stores and safe for all the plants I have used with it. They both will kill snails and other pests that come in on plants. It is a good idea to also use your hand to feel and manually "brush" off all the leaves and stems, similar to what you may do with produce when you buy it and rinse in the sink. Here is a link that explains plant dips....

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfishblog/2011/07/20/dipping-plants-to-eliminate-snails/#.U78pMs9OWpp

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I always quarantine plants now after having a shrimp wipeout due to unknown chemicals on the plants.
    As above there are dips you can use to kill off any nasties, always make sure to rinse thoroughly afterwards & if you have shrimp in your tank don't use anything containing copper

4. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Thanks I bought the pre-sterilized ones, I am letting it soak 24 hours in de-chlorinated water just to make sure about chemicals just to be on the safe side. It seemed safer to go about it this way.