Qt For Shrimp

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!!

I would like to add a couple Amano shrimp with my young female Betta in my established 10gallon (ramshorns and a nerite are her tank mates at the moment). She is still small, just over an inch in length.

I know I should qt the shrimp prior to adding them in with her. I have a 2.5 gallon qt tank that a different nerite and plants just came out of...they were in there for a month. Current parameters are 0/0/0-5, but I know a cycled tank is not enough for shrimp, it needs to be established. Will they be safe in a relatively new qt?

Thank you for your help!!

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I didn’t QT the Amanos that I added to my 20 gallon with Corydoras :oops: I just drip-acclimated them and netted them into the tank after a couple of hours. I thought they were like snails that didn’t carry fish diseases... fish and shrimps are currently doing ok, but I would wait for the more experienced members to comment :D

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you!
I thought I had read about an intestinal parasite they can carry and transfer to fish but I could be mistaken!
And can they transfer ich? I don’t think they can really get the actual disease, but can carry and therefore transfer it to fish?

I could be wrong though :)

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I QT my shrimp and snails. I use a 10 gallon QT tank. My honest opinion I think 2.5 is too small for amano shrimp. My experience was they were climbing out of the net, kinda freaked me out trying to add them to the tank. But curious what others say. Could you use a clear bin instead of a tank? Maybe perforate the lid or add a screen? Add small heater, a sponge filter (preferably a sponge from the main tank), a few anacharis plants or guppy grass and floating plants...
I had java fern on driftwood too in my shrimp/invert QT.

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you! I haven’t had Amano before, I didn’t realize 2.5 was too small for qt for them...thank you! Would 5 g be okay or just stick to 10 gallon? I will use a bin if I can’t get a tank. I have lots of water lettuce in my other tanks...I am throwing out buckets per week!! I really need to learn how to ship plants! Ha! I can easy add that to qt and some anacharis. Thank you!

Are the Amano too large to live in a 10 gallon long term? I looked on seriously fish just now and they actually recommend 20 gallon. If that’s the case, I obviously won’t add them to my 10 gallon...I will wait until I set up a bigger tank. If they are okay, how many could I add? Two?

Thanks again!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No worries, yeah, they are bigger than I expected. They scurry all around my 90 gallon when the females are molting lol. I actually got a vid that would give you an idea what I mean by the way they like to run and climb, keep in mind this is a large 90 gallon tank (48" x 18" x 24" tall).

That's what I have too, water lettuce, love that stuff! Anytime I have an issue with algae, toss in some water lettuce. Maybe I would try neocaridina shrimp with her instead. They would be better suited for a 10 gallon IMO. Some bettas leave them alone......
They come in some seriously amazing colors, and there's a small chance they might even breed and reproduce. Of course there's still the possibility your betta eats them. Amanos are larger, I keep them with my angelfish.

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am not sure how I missed your post...thank you angelcraze !! The Amanos look much bigger than I expected, I am going to forget about them going into a 10gallon...that’s not really fair to them. Thank you :)

I have a 5gallon with red rilis, but I am attached to them and would be devastated if I put a couple in her tank and they became a snack for her. I may try ghost shrimp...they might be big enough for her to leave alone? or just leave her tank shrimpless. I would still feel bad if she ate the ghost shrimp.

By the way, your tank is amazing! If it were mine, I could forget about getting anything accomplished in my day, I would just be staring at that tank!! So beautiful!! What is the plant on the far right side of the tank with the crinkled leaves??

Thanks again to everyone!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you :) :) The crinkled leaf plant on the right is crinum natans.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@OP amano shrimp are fine in a 2.5 tank. I don’t know why they would not be? Especially if they are just for a quarantine period.
I don’t QT my shrimp as they are most sensitive to water parameter changes. So going from a qt to your real tank is just added stress. That said, know your source of the shrimp if you have reason to be concerned then go with qt. But if your source is solid then I would say drip acclimate them over a period of 3-4 hours and let them go.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads