QT even in Community?

MisterSnuffles

Hi I had a quick question. If a fish gets sick in a community tank, do you ha e to qt it? From what I think, if one has it, they all have. Im probably wrong but im curious as I would like a Community tank but dont have much space for a qt tank. And what if I were to medicate the entire tank? Would something go wrong?

BigManAquatics

It is often easier to treat a qt tank, especially if smaller, less meds. And not always is it the case that all are sick. Often, a lot of diseases, the bacteria/parasite that causes it is already in the water anyway and usually gets a fish if it is stressed. The fish aren't stressed, they most likely won't get sick.

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

It is often easier to treat a qt tank, especially if smaller, less meds. And not always is it the case that all are sick. Often, a lot of diseases, the bacteria/parasite that causes it is already in the water anyway and usually gets a fish if it is stressed. The fish aren't stressed, they most likely won't get sick.
Ok great. Thanks for the answer. So far I’ve never had a sick fish in my other tank. And he went through a fish in cycle. But if needed, i guess a dollar per gallon tank at petco can do since they are cheap. Thanks a bunch again.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Ok great. Thanks for the answer. So far I’ve never had a sick fish in my other tank. And he went through a fish in cycle. But if needed, i guess a dollar per gallon tank at petco can do since they are cheap. Thanks a bunch again.
Storage bins can be a cheaper solution as well

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

Storage bins can be a cheaper solution as well
Ah genius! I have one of those actually. So thats perfect. But Id have to get a heater big enough for it as well as a filter big enough to huh? And if i were to put a filter in the bin, should it be put in the cycled tank first or it can be used with Sea hem Prime and Dr. Tims One and Only to do a fish in cycle?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Ah genius! I have one of those actually. So thats perfect. But Id have to get a heater big enough for it as well as a filter big enough to huh? And if i were to put a filter in the bin, should it be put in the cycled tank first or it can be used with Sea hem Prime and Dr. Tims One and Only to do a fish in cycle?
I usually run 2 sponges per tank and extra media in HOBs where i have them so i always have a cycled filter to throw in. And yeah, a heater.

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

I usually run 2 sponges per tank and extra media in HOBs where i have them so i always have a cycled filter to throw in. And yeah, a heater.
Ok. Yeah ill have to get 2 filters then to use one as backup. I plan to use sponge filters cuz i want to put amanos and a bamboo shrimp. And by putting one filter in the uncycled bin, the water should be immediately cycled correct?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Ok. Yeah ill have to get 2 filters then to use one as backup. I plan to use sponge filters cuz i want to put amanos and a bamboo shrimp. And by putting one filter in the uncycled bin, the water should be immediately cycled correct?
The filter will be so there will be bacteria to take care of the ammonia as it goes through the filter.

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

The filter will be so there will be bacteria to take care of the ammonia as it goes through the filter.
Ok cool. Thanks a lot. You saved me from a future headache lol

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

You don't have to get a massive filter for a large qt tank, bc it probably won't be set up for too long to get dead pockets, and if you only have a tiny bit of waste from just one angelfish or gourami or tetra, you don't need that much bio filtration.

Also, some fish (Even within the same species) are more susceptible to disease by being stressed easier, so if one fish has it, some of the others may be able to still fight it and not be stressed. And meds stress fish out so it's better for them not to have to deal with them. Though salt you can always have in the tank.

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

You don't have to get a massive filter for a large qt tank, bc it probably won't be set up for too long to get dead pockets, and if you only have a tiny bit of waste from just one angelfish or gourami or tetra, you don't need that much bio filtration.

Also, some fish (Even within the same species) are more susceptible to disease by being stressed easier, so if one fish has it, some of the others may be able to still fight it and not be stressed. And meds stress fish out so it's better for them not to have to deal with them. Though salt you can always have in the tank.
Ok thank you. One more question. Say three tetras get sick. I take them out and after a week, 2 are back to norma, but one is still sick. Should i add the two healthy ones back? Or wait till the third is healthy?
Ok thank you. One more question. Say three tetras get sick. I take them out and after a week, 2 are back to norma, but one is still sick. Should i add the two healthy ones back? Or wait till the third is healthy?
Oh and if the tanks arent the same temp, in what container do i put the fish to acclimate?

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Oh and if the tanks arent the same temp, in what container do i put the fish to acclimate?
I would wait till they are all healthy so they feel safe, if they get it again, they would anyway (Unless it's like ich where it isn't completely caused by stress), so the last one would feel safer with his buddies.

And you can put them in a plastic baggie and float them.

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

I would wait till they are all healthy so they feel safe, if they get it again, they would anyway (Unless it's like ich where it isn't completely caused by stress), so the last one would feel safer with his buddies.

And you can put them in a plastic baggie and float them.
Great. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Tankseeker
  • Question
Replies
Views