QT clouding up

1. s

slipknotgrrl83 Valued Member Member

I just set up my QT tank yesterday using water from main tank. it is starting to cloud up.. I have one fish in there now who I need to return due to aggression issues. I have a HOB filter and a powerhead and parameters are in check, Any ideas what could be causing it?

2. 1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

As long as the water params and fish behavior are good I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some things to consider would be any substrate that got mixed up, minicycle (too soon but?) or maybe just let the water settle. I hoping you didn't have any cleaning residue in there but I doubt you would do that. Keep us posted.

3. OP
    OP
    s

Yeah it is bare bottom so no substrate and no I didn't add any cleaning supplies, I know better! LOL. maybe it is the water just settling. I decided to keep it up permanently instead of hurrying it together when I need it. I will give it a few days! only one in there is pseudo until I get him to the store to return him!

4. GgAcE

GgAcE Valued Member Member

Question.... What is the point of a QT tank if you used the same water from the infected tank?

To answer your initial question however, you ARE going through a cycle!

Right. Let's bare in mind that the good bacteria is not generally free floating. It attaches to gravel, decor, & most of the time your filtration.

If you are using an infected tanks source water, I guess a QT tank may only be as good as the fish in it. I hope the infection is not water based & is specific to your fish. If so, take decor or gravel from the settled tank. Simply place it in the NEW tank to act as a seed. This should get the new bacteria growing faster.

Edit: I failed to read the whole thread the first time. The fish was quarantined for AGGRESSION & NOT illness. My wholehearted apology! My seeding suggestion still stands =)

5. OP
    OP
    s

Yes I normally do not use same water but I had to remove him in a hurry before he killed my other fish!
    no harm done LOL and Thank you for suggestion!

6. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

With a SW, it also means you don't have to acclimate, as salinity and other parameters are the same. Remembering too, a QT is to keep/isolate one fish from the general population so that it doesn't introduce disease to an existing healthy system ;)

As to the cloudiness experienced, it could just be from moving water. If the water was 'dumped' in, it could get a little cloudy but should settle quickly. Also, lighting can play a part, some lights make a tank look cloudy when it's not really.

7. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks ryanr for your input