QT choices

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by featherblue, Dec 31, 2012.

1. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

So my EBR tank to be is finally cycled and stockable. i started with my dither fish, a small school of diamondhead tetras and one of blue rasboras. currently the rasboras are in the display tank and really happy exploring. The tetras are in my 5.5g QT tank. they look misrable in the tiny tank. they whole group is on the gravel hiding behind a plastic plant.

should i leave them where they are for QT for the next two weeks? or should i move the tetras into the big tank, where they might calm down and adjust better?

both came from the same store today, where they take good care of the fish. any fish with a potential problem has come with a warning in the past, and all have been healthy.

2. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

What you need I think is a larger quarantine tank. What if you do risk it with the tetras and decide to put them in the display tank, then you are likely to just have the same problem again with whatever else you put in the QT tank, and you can't just always accelerate the schedule and add all new fish to display tank fast because then you might as well not bother having a QT tank at all, and someday you will have enough fish in the display tank that you will regret it if you add new fish too fast if they do bring sickness to your tank. A QT tank should be big enough and set up in such a way that you are able to comfortably house any fish that you plan to QT in it, even if there is something wrong with the fish and they wind up needing to be quarantined for a month or even more. If your current QT tank is not good enough for that, then you should upgrade your QT tank, I believe.

3. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Ive seen 5 g as QT in other members posts, that's why I'm trying it. Could the behavior I'm seeing be more of a new fish behavior than a poor reaction to the tank size? Do scared tetras hide by the gravel? They've been in the tank for a out 6 hrs since drip acclimating.

4. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

I think it is a reaction to tank size.

You say the fish came from the same store, do you know if they use central filtration or is each tank seperate from the others for filtration? Each tank may have its own corner filter but may also be connected to a main source. If they are all part of the same system then yes you could move them as they were all exposed to the same water and same potential diseases.

5. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Individual filtration to lower risk of disease spreading......both groups have been in store for 3+ wks, getting smaller as time goes by andcfish head to new tanks, tank gets closed for QT if any that have gone home have problems. Never seen a dead fish innthe store.

6. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

If they were not on central filtration then its best to leave them to wait in the tank.

In retrospect probably should have done them the other way for the QT period.

7. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Although I understand why you wrote this, since if they had been in a store with central filtration system then there would have been almost no additional risk of adding the fish to eachother since they would have been sharing germs already, however, I would think that since the store has good hygiene adding the fish to display tank is less risky usually.

8. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

The tetras are doing better now its a little darker. I shut the curtain and they're swimming around a little more. Im hopeing tomw will be some exploring and normal schooling.

I didn't think either would like the little tank, but its only for two weeks.

9. plecodragonWell Known MemberMember

Just let them be for a while. 6 hours is not a very long time. They are most likely stressed because they were caught in the store, transported home, drip accimated into strange water and new tank and have had little time to relax. They may not eat for a few days with the transfer stress.
    Good luck with your new fish

10. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Much happeir tetras today, they're exploring all over. They even ate a little when I offered them some pellets. I think they'll deal for 2 wks, even if its not they're favorite

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

That's it right there. It takes fish time to adjust - being bagged and brought home is very stressful for them, so it's no surprise that they are acting that way. Many fish do, no matter the tank size. If that behavior sticks around for more than a few days, then I would start to be concerned.

12. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

And come to think of it the adjustment period seems to vary by type of fish: danios for example seem fine the next day, whereas a bristlenose pleco in my experience needed longer to adjust to new tank.