Q tank question

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have been reading some new and old threads lately about Q tank. I am wondering if I should get a q tank when I start this 29 gallon and cycle them together. I could always later take it to my work. I think I would like having fish there. I would not want anything big. What size would be big enough? and would a kit be ok since it will be a q tank then just house 1-2 fish.
I am planning on having the following in my 29 when it is finished and cycled and after slowly adding them.

6 glofish
1 male guppy
2-3 female platy
5 pygmy cories

So basically, I am trying to figure out what tank will fit on a desk that I can use as a q tank for a few of these at a time as I slowly add to my 29 gallon?
Again, I really love this site and all the help. It has been priceless!!!!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's a good idea to leave it as a hospital tank even after the quarantine period's over. That way, if a fish gets sick, you ca treat it without having to treat all of them.
Most people like 10 gallons for a q/hosp tank. With little fish, I think you can get away with a 5.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd consider buying two tanks (darn MTS )
You want your q-tank 'ready to go' at all times, most members that use q-tanks will keep the media for the q tank in their main filter until it is needed.

i.e. the q tank stays empty, and only gets filled/used when needed (either for treatment or new fish)

Have you read the q-tank guide? https://www.fishlore.com/QuarantineTankSetup.htm

Then the second tank you buy, I'd put on the desk at work.

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys. i will get a q tank and keep at home. I still may do something like a 5 gallon at work. This coming from the person that tried to talk my daughter out of getting fish for her birthday. Who knew they could be so cool???? I will read the q tank guide. I have just been researching, literally all my free time to do this right, that if you guys thought it was not needed, then I was not adding another thing to the agenda of fish education.
thanks again

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have small fish too....but have a 10g Q.....pretty much only because it was on sale for $6.97 ;D it's a basic glass tank. other than that, i could get away with a five. i keep media in my 20g when i need to set up the Q.

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Meenu Thanks for sending me your thread. After I get Alexa's tank up and running. i think I will get a 5 gal or 10 for my office. I asked the office yesterday and they all asked would I put it up front. After your thread, I think I will keep the food myself and they will just have to visit my tank. I have tons of kids in my office with many psychiatric issues as I am a child therapist, but the idea of it being an icebreaker is brilliant!!! I can also use it to help with teaching appropriate limit setting. Thanks so much for attaching the thread, did not know you could do that.
I am still going to do the q tank so now I am up to eventually 3 tanks. Think I will get the q and Alexa's up then I will have some starter gravel to do the one at work.
I can also look for a sale like Jerilovesfrogs had WOW $6.97!! I never luck into things like that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom