Q: medium size Clown Loach in a 20T just the time to eat snail then rehome ?

OuiBonjour

Alright, guys.

- I know Clown Loaches gets in average 8" to 11", and that some even reached 17".
- I know Clown Loaches are schooling fish and needs to have at least 5 CL buddies.

That being said, I have an Assassin Snails invasion in my 20 gallon tall. I got them to get rid of a Bladder Snail invasion. They did an amazing job, but then they also did an amazing job at filling my tank up with their millions of babies.

I know my tank is way too small for an adult Clown Loach,even more so for a school of them.

Also, my tank is pretty stocked : 7x Black Skirt Tetras, 1x Serpae Tetra, 1x Dwarf Gourami, and 6x Kuhli Loaches. Oh, and at least 1x Amano Shrimp, but possibly two.

So yeah, I was wondering if it'd be possible to buy a Clown Loach that is still small enough to fit in my tank, keep her until she ate all my baby Assassins (As for the adults I can easily remove them by hand - even though I wouldn't know what to do with them - Would not want to kill them myself), and then either bring the loach back to the LFS or rehome her or sell her. (I don't know why I assume she'd be female. Let's just pretend she is)

1. Could it be done ?
2. If she just stays a little while, will she have time to suffer from her lack of CL buddies ?
3. Will she be a menace to my fish ? And my Amano Shrimp ? (to a certain degree, the shrimp would not be that much of a big deal)
4. What size should I take her ?
5. Will she get the job done ? And will it be a quick job ?
6. Should I feed her very little in order to keep her hungry enough to go after the snails ?
7. Will she eat all the leftover food from my fish, which are usually eaten by my Kuhlis, and would that leave them hungry ?
8. Will the LFS take her back ? Should I tell them when I buy her, or should I just come back and invent a reason to bring her back ?

I know my tank is pretty stocked already, but I'm very steady on weekly 50% WC. I understand that (if doable), this will increase my bioload and that I will probably have to go with 2x WC a week. I'm okay with this. I'm also testing my water parameters pretty zealously, and would do it even more while I have her.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks!

Ghelfaire

They're not guaranteed to take out the snail population.
You can try to sell them.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Problem with selling them, is the amount of babies all around. I don't want to wait for them all to grow and then keep removing adults for the rest of my life.

I though of all moving them in a bocal with substrate and plants, but I don't have the necessary equipment to filter that bocal, or even heat it, and I believe it might be inhuman even if they're just snails. And even here, I still don't know how I'd deal with the bazillions of baby Assassins all over the tank.

Also, someone said this in another thread :

Its OK until all the assissans decide to come to the party at the same time.
This lot rose from the substrate all together in less than an hour, they were in a 10g tank so decided to siphon them out, so when they get their act together they will multiply

Ouch.

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Well, you kinda have a catch 22 here. Assassin snails are a bit tougher than most species, so it would take a larger clown to eat them as the smaller ones won't be able to get around their trapdoors.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Well, you kinda have a catch 22 here. Assassin snails are a bit tougher than most species, so it would take a larger clown to eat them as the smaller ones won't be able to get around their trapdoors.

Make sense! Do you think a good size Clown Loach could live temporarily within my current stocking, and then be rehomed, or even temporarily it would be too small/cruel for her ?

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Maybe not in a 20 tall. My recommendation would be to sell the adults to your lfs, and cut back on feeding. Snail populations are almost always directly related to how much you feed your fish.

Upvote 0

BirdMom

How many assassin snails do you have?

...I will literally buy 50 right now if they're the right price.

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

FishGirl115 doesn't hurt to ask.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
50 Gallon Tank Corys and clown loaches?
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
  • Question
Replies