Python/Water Pressure Problems

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by kb9plc, Jan 3, 2013.

1. kb9plc

kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

So I have a python water changer. Wouldn't have fish tanks without it. (bad back = not capable of lugging buckets)
    It's worked great for months.... but the sink I attach it to just had an 'upgrade'. New faucet.
    Old faucet was just a basic run-of-the-mill faucet. Now we have a 'swan neck' faucet.
    Water pressure in my house is average.... but once we added the new faucet we noticed a pressure change on that particular faucet. Sometime this year we will be re-doing some old pipes in the house, which may solve the problem.... but in the mean time I have python issues now.
    It's significantly slower on both the removing and replacing water steps. Okay. I can deal with that for now.
    But two of my tanks sit a bit lower than the other two. I have a heckuva time getting the python to start suction in these two tanks.... and they are shaped oddly, so there isn't much room to do some fancy-water-work with the mouth of the python.
    Anyone have this problem? Any DIY solutions out there?

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I was asked to make this video, but it was after the hurricane and I didn't have electricity in the bedroom for a month after, so that's why there are electrical cords and wires all over :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDO-FiH_KYU

3. Mer-max

Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Do you take the screen out of the faucet? Sometimes they get clogged up. I have to take mine off to hook my siphon up though. . .

Edit : mine is reverse threaded - just be aware

4. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

Jaysee:
    Okay why didn't I think of using a power head?! That's perfect. Thanks!
    However, I only have one python.... so removing the syphon head and replacing it with power head repeatedly will be okay? Or will it cause the spot of the tubing where it connects to get worn and leak after a while? I know you said in your vid that you have two for time-efficiency reasons, but I'm curious if this potential problem could be another underlying reason?

Mer-max:
    Yeah. Mine is reverse threaded now too. (had to get a different adapter from home depot when we changed the faucet). The screen is in the 'finishing' piece on the end of the faucet that I have to take off to attach the python. Sounds like the same situation as yours. So that's not it. Pretty sure it's just cruddy water pressure in an older house with older pipes.... andddd the big swan neck faucet made it worse.

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yeah, a pump or powerhead saves time and water.

I would not remove the vac tube from the hose to attach it to the powerhead. I took the the whole vac tube assembly and just cut the tube off, and stuck the hose on the powerhead. It never comes off. You can buy just the vac tube part, complete with the hose and connector piece, and switch them out there. So, you would have the main python hose, with two different ends to connect - one with a vac tube and one with a powerhead.

6. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

*off to go order supplies*

:)

7. Mer-max

Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

That's an awesome idea . . .

8. JRC3

JRC3Well Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice