Python Water Changer? - Page 2

Allie

Plus you can take a bath knowing your bathtub hasn't recently had fish poo water in it!
Yeah it got a little tiring cleaning the tub every time we did water changes.

capekate

I'm also sick of hauling 5 gallon buckets to empty and fill my 55 gallon tank and would love the python as well. My hubby has other ideas tho. He feels that since all the water drains into the sink and hence goes into the septic tank we are wasting water and filling the septic tank. That is the only draw back that I can see. He feels that throwing the water outside it will leach back into the well and in the end save us water.
Now I have to try and convince him that the python IS the way to go!

~ kate

mlinden84

I'm also sick of hauling 5 gallon buckets to empty and fill my 55 gallon tank and would love the python as well. My hubby has other ideas tho. He feels that since all the water drains into the sink and hence goes into the septic tank we are wasting water and filling the septic tank. That is the only draw back that I can see. He feels that throwing the water outside it will leach back into the well and in the end save us water.
Now I have to try and convince him that the python IS the way to go!

~ kate

Do you have a window near where your tank is? You could always use something like the python to just drain the water out your window (works great to water flowers! unfortunately for me, the tank is in the basement so it wouldnt work). Then after it is drained, you could hook the python up to the sink to fill it, which would mean no more buckets (or water spilling all over!)
Just an idea....

capekate

HI Mlinden
that is a great idea! ;D Yes, the tank is right next to a window on the first floor and I would be able to drain the water out there. Thanks so much for the great advice... it can work!

Gotta tell my hubby now! I'm sure he would be happy to not have to haul buckets for me. lol

~ kate

Gozer_1

A Python needs to be hooked up to a sink or other faucet to work properly. The white plastic adaptor that hooks to your sink is better replaced with a metal one from Home Depot. The green plastic "pump" is easy to cross thread and is easy to damage with over tightening so be careful. Don't leave it in fill mode with the ball valve closed for very long or you will build too much pressure in the hose VERY quickly. That aside, my Python is one of the VERY best investments I have ever made in this hobby. I have a 150 and it just doesn't work for me to carry that much water. Yes the air bubbles it creates help eliminate some chlorine and you can just add the dechlor to your tank. It will just sit there until it comes across chlorine. I add a little right before I start filling. A little in the middle of filling and a little when I'm done just to be sure. I have been using a Python for about a year and never had more than a broken "pump" assembly. 7 bucks and it was back in action.

Barbrella

I'm convinced and will get one asap!

I'm so sick of mopping up water from my hardwood floors, and just two weeks ago the handle on the bucket broke and sent several gallons of water everywhere.

MissMTS

I just got the python and I love it. I do water changes much more often now. Mine actually came with a metal adapter not a plastic one. Maybe that's how they are selling them now. I also saw the metal adapters being sold seperately at Petco FYI. Anyways, definetly worth the money!

mlinden84

I just got the python and I love it. I do water changes much more often now. Mine actually came with a metal adapter not a plastic one. Maybe that's how they are selling them now. I also saw the metal adapters being sold seperately at Petco FYI. Anyways, definetly worth the money!

I've found I do water changes more often, just because it's not such a pain to do them.

zeebo

I've found I do water changes more often, just because it's not such a pain to do them.

Hi,

I am thinking of getting one myself but I don't understand how it works.
There is only 1 hose right? So how does the dirty tank water get drained out?
Wouldn't it just get clog up with the faucet at the other end?
I am quite confused.

I hope someone can assist and provide a detail explanation how it functions.

I am thinking of connecting it to th tap of my rainwater tank in the garden.

Narcicius

If you havn't got one already you might as well invest in one because they just work, especially for bigger tanks.

zeebo

Hi,

does that mean the python has 2 hose - 1 to drain water out and 1 to fill water in?

thanks.

Gozer_1

Hi,

I am thinking of getting one myself but I don't understand how it works.
There is only 1 hose right? So how does the dirty tank water get drained out?
Wouldn't it just get clog up with the faucet at the other end?
I am quite confused.

I hope someone can assist and provide a detail explanation how it functions.

I am thinking of connecting it to th tap of my rainwater tank in the garden.

At the faucet you attach a "pump". This pump works on the venturI principle. The water flows through this pump from the faucet. A small nozzle inside the "pump" shoots the tap water just past the hole for the cleaning hose. This creates a gap. The flow of the water after this gap creates suction as the tap water flows out of the pump. It will draw the air out of the cleaning hose and in so doing pull water from the tank when the other end is submerged. It's the same principle that draws air in a powerhead or the bubbles in a hot tub. We use them at work to aerate our lakes. If you Google VenturI Principle I'm sure you'll find a much better description. As far as hooking it up to a rain water tank, the water needs to be pressurized. Though once it is started it will siphon some with no running water at the faucet end, the suction is very weak. As you increase the pressure through the "pump" you will increase your cleaning power. Other than that it would work fine.

zeebo

HI Gozer_1,

Thank You very much!

andy65

We LOVE ours. We have only had it for a week now but WOW,water changes are a breeze. It's now FUN to clean the tanks.

tb19

Carrying bucket after bucket of water is getting very, very tiring...
So I've been thinking about getting a Python vac.
But I have some questions about how it works.

-How do I treat the water if it comes straight from the faucet?
-How can I match the new water's temperature to the water in the tank? I don't want my fishes going into shock.
-Which vacuum is worth the money: Python or Lee's vac?

Thanx!

Allie

Just put the treatment in the water as it is filling up. You put cold/luke warm water in so it's not too cold.
We have a 50' python...I'd go with that. It's the best invention for fish keepers with 30gs+. I recommend it for sure.

Narcicius

Yeah this product is necessary for bigger tanks, get one if you need it.

andy65

we have a 25' one and we LOVE it. It make water changes SO much easier.

I just add the Prime in the water stream as I fill the tank back up.
Also to get the water the right temp. I use a instant read thermometer in my cupped hand under the "pump." Does that make sense to you?

tb19

yes I understand. I just might invest in this then. It's such a hassle to fill the buckets, dump the water, refill it .....my body aches after a while from so much work! lol

Tavel

I hurt my back once...but it still hasn't convinced me to spend that much money...Just convinced me I need to get stronger.

SereneReyn

the python is very much worth it, I was skeptical too, but wouldn't go back to buckets for anything now. i'd recommend it for anyone with over a 20 gallon tank - before buying a single fish.

shooter_tx

I'm actually looking into gravel vacuums right now, so I'll just go after this part of your question:
Which vacuum is worth the money: Python or Lee's vac?
I don't know, but I barely missed getting to the LFS today and instead found another brand at PetSmart this evening, just to throw another name into the mix:

Aqueon Water Changer

soliciting information about it.

Best of luck.

Halibut

I hurt my back once...but it still hasn't convinced me to spend that much money...Just convinced me I need to get stronger.

HAA I work as a wrench turner and lift parts that are easliy as heavy as a full 5 gallon bucket on a regular basis and I still want one of these. Its not just the wieght of the water its the repetitive motion parts of slowly taking water out and refilling that really get me.

I'll be ordering today so it here in time for my first scheduled gravel cleaning next week.

fishbum

If you order on line they are not that much money,even with shipping.They have ones with 50 feet of hose at my LFS for $85 to $95,I thought this was crazy so I never got one.I ordered one(python) from Foster and Smith,for $54,I will never go with out one again.I even use it for my daughters 5 and my 10 gallon tanks,it is well worth the money.I can clean and re-fill all my tank in less than 20 minutes.I wondered about adding the water conditioner also,I just measure out what I need for each tank,and add it as the fresh water is going in.

120 gallon
30 gallon
20 gallon
10 gallon x2
5 gallon x2

shooter_tx

I paid $30 for mine from Aquarium Guys ().

It was $45 or $50 at the local PetSmart.

eiginh

I recently bought a python gravel vac and realized the green connector that connects to the faucet is too big to fit into the space it screws into the faucet. Does anyone have the same problem?

Beth1965

I can't use one myself but I have read that there are adapters that you can purchase for this issue.
Beth

eiginh

The python came with a brass adapter but it didn't work either, unless what you're talking about is a different type of adapter. It was a bummer finding that out.

harpua2002

Is there a part here that could help?

I'm still not sure I understand the problem though.

eiginh

Basically, the top right part of the picture is too big to connect to my faucet b/c my faucet gives little spacing for it to be inserted. When I bought the Python gravel vac it also came with the Python Brass Adapter but that too will not work for my faucet. I hope that made sense.

Attachments

• img3037913thmb.jpg
    img3037913thmb.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 283

harpua2002

Would this "universal adaptor" help?

eiginh

No, I don't think so. Here's somewhat of a drawing, I hope it explains well. The red part is where the python pump screws in but it's actually inside the faucet barely hanging out, so the pump cannot fit inside.

Attachments

• python.bmp
    98.8 KB · Views: 121
  • python.JPG
    python.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 291

SWilkins

No, I don't think so. Here's somewhat of a drawing, I hope it explains well. The red part is where the python pump screws in but it's actually inside the faucet barely hanging out, so the pump cannot fit inside.

I had the same problem. My hubby bought me an adapter and whoohooo problem solved. I will find out exactly what he got and let you know the name of it and where he found it.

eiginh

Awesome!!

SWilkins

Home Depot. Ask for a faucet to water hose connector. It is about 3 bucks and works great.

eiginh

Thank you!

ooibhuskyoo

You can also just connect, without the brass adapter, and connect it to an outside house. Of course, if you fill with it, you can't control the water temperature, but I don't really trust the water that comes from the outside faucet anyways.

eiginh

I would but I live in an apartment. thanks though!

SWilkins

Thank you!

Your welcome. I know how happy I was when he brought me the adapter home so I know how you feel.

grump

Basically, the top right part of the picture is too big to connect to my faucet b/c my faucet gives little spacing for it to be inserted. When I bought the Python gravel vac it also came with the Python Brass Adapter but that too will not work for my faucet. I hope that made sense.

From what you said the top right of the picture is the bottom and you are putting on upside down if I read the thread right if not sorry....rob

SWilkins

From what you said the top right of the picture is the bottom and you are putting on upside down if I read the thread right if not sorry....rob

Hummm see what you are saying there. Maybe the picture just was not rotated correctly. I don't even think the bottom of the python pump has threads or am I mistaken here. Not at home or I would go and look...

eiginh

Darn, now I'm stuck at work pondering if the bottom does have threads. It's going to be a slow day today...

LilMan

Darn, now I'm stuck at work pondering if the bottom does have threads. It's going to be a slow day today...

It does not.

eiginh

lol thank you! I bought the adapter this weekend and it works great!

Christo101

So I've seen the python vacuum cleaner in action and I love it but unfortunately it's not available for me to buy. Does anybody have DYI instructions of how to make one at home that works the same?

Thetanknwebie

There is a an Aqueon Water Changer that is cheaper and is literally the same thing as the Python except with a different brand and color. Maybe you can find one where you live. YouTube also has DIY Python videos

Jomolager

So I've seen the python vacuum cleaner in action and I love it but unfortunately it's not available for me to buy. Does anybody have DYI instructions of how to make one at home that works the same?

Yes! You can make one for a fraction of the cost. One of our Mods sent me instructions a while back. I will post them after lunch.

Jomolager

It was @jetajokey's post. He said to get a food safe hose and this:

Chris99

I just use two hoses. One I connect to my syphon vacuum to drain the water, the other is connected to a tee on my shower head to refill. The syphon one may not work for some if there is not a enough of a slope or you are trying to go back up into a sink or tub. Mine runs outside so it is not a problem.

Christo101

Thanks Jomolager.you're a life saver

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rick bose
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
Salem