Python Water Changer

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m sure it’s been reviewed many times before...

But I LOVE my Python! I just used it for the first time today and didn’t break my back lugging water back and forth to the tub!

Really easy to use:
1) unscrew bathroom tap aerator and screw on the female end of the Python.
2) Suction is automatically created (by a bunch of science) so get to sucking!
3) Make sure other end is securely inside a tank before you push up the lever that redirects water down the tube for refills

Advice:
For draining tanks make sure you put a little screen over the sink drain. That way if a critter takes a ride down the tube they don’t end up going down the sink.

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'll often have issues starting a siphon, but it is pretty good once it gets started. Not as strong as I had hoped though. Also, if I stop the siphon it takes forever to get it restarted. Not sure what the issue is. I have great water pressure and no leaks.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll often have issues starting a siphon, but it is pretty good once it gets started. Not as strong as I had hoped though. Also, if I stop the siphon it takes forever to get it restarted. Not sure what the issue is. I have great water pressure and no leaks.
Just spitballing here, but I’ll bet if you got a smaller/more narrow gravel tube or shortened the length of the hose it might help.

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My tank is 20" deep, so i don't want to shorten the tube, and I already shortened the hose as much as possible (about 30'). I think I'll give the powerhead trick a shot.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have the Aqueon brand water changer and honestly couldn't live without it. 25' hose and it reaches all of the tanks i use it in. 55,20 long, 10, and 8.8. the 2 5.5's i use a piece of airline tubing attached with a couple elastics to a skewer for those tanks when i really wanna clean the bottoms and of course the always helpful turkey baster!!

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 20 y.o. unknown brand, standard gravel vac & a 5 gal. Feed bucket. I haul at least 20 buckets of water outside each week & water trees & bushes. Of course I have to refill the tanks. Each bucket of water weighs approx. 30-35 lbs.
I explained this to my wife and we discussed the need for a Python. She was very unsympathetic to my plight and simply replied "You'll get fat. Keep hauling buckets".
Likely no Python anytime soon.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 20 y.o. unknown brand, standard gravel vac & a 5 gal. Feed bucket. I haul at least 20 buckets of water outside each week & water trees & bushes. Of course I have to refill the tanks. Each bucket of water weighs approx. 30-35 lbs.
I explained this to my wife and we discussed the need for a Python. She was very unsympathetic to my plight and simply replied "You'll get fat. Keep hauling buckets".
Sorry for laughing but I wanted to put funny cause of the reasoning but also winner for hauling all those buckets

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water changes are my strength and stamina training/workouts too :emoji_sweat_smile:

I can't get a water changer because my faucet is rectangular and the mesh thing doesn't come off, so it's buckets for me too unless there's something other there that can get around that.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water changes are my strength and stamina training/workouts too :emoji_sweat_smile:

I can't get a water changer because my faucet is rectangular and the mesh thing doesn't come off, so it's buckets for me too unless there's something other there that can get around that.
How about you fill a large bin in the tub, treat the water, then pump it into your tank in the other room with a length of 0.5 inch plastic tubing and a submersible water pump?

FREESEA 100W 1100GPH Submersible Sump Pump for Pond, Aquarium, Waterfall, Hydroponics, Drain Water https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J1GMKSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M-BDDb21V27Z1

Rollerflex Food Grade Crystal Clear Vinyl Tubing, 1/2-Inch ID x 5/8-Inch OD, 100-FT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9D69NM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_feCDDb1RGCDXW

Last edited:

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How about you fill a large bin in the tub, treat the water, then pump it into your tank in the other room with a length of 0.5 inch plastic tubing and a submersible water pump?
Hmmm... That's an option. I'd have to seem how much tubing I'd need for my furthest tank (I'd imagine it's fairly cheap?) , but at the very least it will help with the 29 and future tanks on the rack across from the bathroom. Although I do have tons of plastic tubing from my Aqueon water changer and its replacement (I was missing a tiny piece and the company I'd ordered it from sent a whole new water changer instead of just the missing piece) at my parents' house. If that tubing would work, I'd ask if it could be sent to me. I've been meaning to ask if some of my old fish stuff could be shipped to me but I don't know if they still have it.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm... That's an option. I'd have to seem how much tubing I'd need for my furthest tank (I'd imagine it's fairly cheap?) , but at the very least it will help with the 29 and future tanks on the rack across from the bathroom. Although I do have tons of plastic tubing from my Aqueon water changer and its replacement (I was missing a tiny piece and the company I'd ordered it from sent a whole new water changer instead of just the missing piece) at my parents' house. If that tubing would work, I'd ask if it could be sent to me. I've been meaning to ask if some of my old fish stuff could be shipped to me but I don't know if they still have it.
For most houses I would say 50 feet would do it. 100 feet is also sold (if you have a big house).

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Let me give you guys a huge tip those python hoses has the same adapters as garden hoses you can buy one for $20 and just add it to the python instead of spending $30-$70 on a new one to extend it.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Let me give you guys a huge tip those python hoses has the same adapters as garden hoses you can buy one for $20 and just add it to the python instead of spending $30-$70 on a new one to extend it.
You have to be careful with hoses from the garden section though when filling because some of them have chemicals in them that shouldn’t go in your tank.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have to be careful with hoses from the garden section though when filling because some of them have chemicals in them that shouldn’t go in your tank.
That's clearly not good I have been using them for years to fill my mini pond.

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bought my python off Amazon a few weeks ago. Just got here a couple days ago. Unfortunately no taps in my house work for it. So the first time I used it I just drained it into the front yard out the door.

Fortunately I was able to rig up my laundry machine cold water supply with a y valve and I can atleast drain the tank that way. No filling though

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought my python off Amazon a few weeks ago. Just got here a couple days ago. Unfortunately no taps in my house work for it. So the first time I used it I just drained it into the front yard out the door.

Fortunately I was able to rig up my laundry machine cold water supply with a y valve and I can atleast drain the tank that way. No filling though
Couldn’t you screw it onto a faucet outside and push the lever up so you can fill? If it doesn’t fit, I know they make adapters.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom