Python Water Changer

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does anyone have experience with these or similar brands? Our tank is near the floor so I want to make sure it will work with the tank being thag low as I can't use the siphon cleaners. Also has anyone made their own? How hard is it and is it alot cheaper?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Since the suction is created by your sink, I don’t think the height compared to the floor should be a big factor, but I could be wrong. If the tank is below sink level maybe call Python & ask. Most expensive thing I bought for my tank & still my best investment 2.5 years later. It means I don’t dread water changes, which means my fish get clean water more often & less ends up on the floor.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as you have good water pressure in your sink you shouldn't need to have a tank that is higher than your sink though it will speed it up considerably

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I myself use the Aqueon water changers. I use the 25 foot one for the tank in the living room. Also just bought the 50 foot one to use on a tank much further away that I'm setting up. They both came from PetSmart, which will price match Amazon now. Or at least mine does. So, I literally paid half price for the 50 foot one. I personally believe that with good water pressure you should be fine using them in a tank on the floor, but like someone else said, you could always contact them to be sure. You could probably even get some info off Google, or read reviews.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JLeeM said:
I myself use the Aqueon water changers. I use the 25 foot one for the tank in the living room. Also just bought the 50 foot one to use on a tank much further away that I'm setting up. They both came from PetSmart, which will price match Amazon now. Or at least mine does. So, I literally paid half price for the 50 foot one. I personally believe that with good water pressure you should be fine using them in a tank on the floor, but like someone else said, you could always contact them to be sure. You could probably even get some info off Google, or read reviews.
I was looking at the aqueon because it's cheaper but it didn't have the pump so I thought maybe python would be better since the tank is lower. I may have to just get it and try it!

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Photobelle said:
I was looking at the aqueon because it's cheaper but it didn't have the pump so I thought maybe python would be better since the tank is lower. I may have to just get it and try it!
News to me. I didn't even know the Python one had a pump. Lol.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Python calls it a pump. It is the part on the end of the hose that attaches to your faucet. If you turn the part on the bottom, it allows the running water to form a vacuum. If you turn the thing the other way, it redirects the water into the hose so you can fill your tank.

Be careful...Don't become confused between a gravel vac, which is just a plastic tube with a hose attached to it and is just a siphon, and a Python type water changer, which has the "pump" and actually draws a suction. I believe Aqueon makes a python type water changer, but they also make regular gravel vacuums also.

So if it doesn't have something that allows you to hook it to the faucet, it's just a gravel vacuum, which may will not work for you since your tank is low.

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mine works well. I got a 50' hose and a 24" end tube for it (for my deeper tank) and it's certainly easier than a bucket, though I wouldn't call it hassle free... One downside is that the only sink I can hook it up to is pretty shallow, I've flooded the bathroom once with it because of this. I have to be very careful with how far I turn the faucet on to suction water out to prevent overflowing. Unfortunately my kitchen sink has a pull out faucet which it won't attach to and the bathtub doesn't have a threaded outlet, so the bathroom sink is the only choice.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi I use a python and it don’t make any difference if the tank is on the floor or below the tank the key is the water pressure in your tap. Hope this helps

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have to treat the entire tank, using enough for the entire volume, not just what you are adding. I avoided it for a long time thinking it would be bad (I learned old-school) but so far it seems perfect!

Fishin Q

Reaction score
how about puting the big end in the the tank an run the small end out door or low window .if u have a garden or flowers use that for free fertiler u will all the pressure u need.just keep a eye ball so u don't run it dry and give it a suck when u r ready

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom