Python Water change and cycle

EricDRubin

Someone told me the other day something I'd like to fact check here. Recently got a python water changer and its awesome to not haul buckets. I usually add my prime about 2 min after beginning refill (not sure if i should add before, during, or after the change)...However was told prime doesn't dechlorinate right away and doing it this way disrupts my cycle and media as well as fish. He told me I should use buckets to dechlorinate separately.

Is he right? Am I damaging my beneficial bacteria by adding tap directly to the tank even with prime?

mattgirl

I still use buckets but folks that use a python to fill their tanks just add the water conditioner either before or during the refill process. Water conditioners work almost instantly so adding it right before or during the refill should not harm fish or bacteria. Lots of foks that use a python add enough water conditioner to treat the full volume of the tank instead of just enough to treat the amount of water being replaced. That would be my choice as well.

If I were going to use something other than buckets I would turn my filters off during the refill simply to make sure no chlorine/chloramine is pulled through my filter media just in case all of the chlorine/chloramines aren't removed immediately Just be sure to turn the filter/s back on once the tank is filled.

Upvote 0

FishGirl38

I've used my python (prime for longer) for about a year now and I haven't had any issues with my aquarium cycle - and I'm pretty lackadaisical with it too.

I drain my tanks down to 40-50%, than I just switch the faucet adapter, run over to my tank and dump prime in over the hydro-vac tube. My utility sink is wonky too and the temperature is hard to get perfect. So, what I'm saying is, I basically do the same thing as you do, and I'm not careful at all about how I do it.

I have a 135G, a 90G, and a 40G breeder. Stocking in these tanks looks like....(way overstocked)...
135G: 20 rainbowfish, 20 kubatia loaches, momon pleco, 3 siamensis, 4 severum, 3 geophagus, 5 otocinclus, 9 angelfish, 2 panda garra, 2 uaru, 1 firemouth cichlid (rescue from my oscar tank)....FX4 filter w/ extra bio media.

90g: adult oscar, juv. bichir, 2 pleco - 1 common, 1 sailfin. Fluval 407 w/ extra bio media.

40B: 2 ~9in goldfish (cycle fish from 5yrs ago..), 2 4in goldfish (feeder rescues...), 2 cory cats, 3 BN pleco, 1 clown pleco, 1 sm baby common pleco. Aquaclear 70 w/ extra bio media.

I listed all of that so you can get an idea for the kind of bio-load I deal with in my tanks....If water changes were affecting my cycle negatively, I'm sure I would be losing fish often, and would have a harder time keeping ammonia/nitrite low.

Hadn't thought about turning the filters off, but that would avoid any chlorine from getting to the bacteria. Thanks mattgirl.

Upvote 0

EricDRubin

I still use buckets but folks that use a python to fill their tanks just add the water conditioner either before or during the refill process. Water conditioners work almost instantly so adding it right before or during the refill should not harm fish or bacteria. Lots of foks that use a python add enough water conditioner to treat the full volume of the tank instead of just enough to threat the amount of water being replaced. That would be my choice as well.

If I were going to use something other than buckets I would turn my filters off during the refill simply to make sure no chlorine/chloramine is pulled through my filter media just in case all of the chlorine/chloramines aren't removed immediately Just be sure to turn the filter/s back on once the tank is filled.
I just hate turning my filter off and on because when I turn it back on, gunk spews out that first 3 seconds and takes a solid hour or 2 to clear. And always worried this gunk isn't healthy for the fish let alone the newly water changed tank lol

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I just hate turning my filter off and on because when I turn it back on, gunk spews out that first 3 seconds and takes a solid hour or 2 to clear. And always worried this gunk isn't healthy for the fish let alone the newly water changed tank lol
Maybe you should rinse out the body of your filter from time to time. I usually do so every few months. I have to think something isn't as it should be if this is happening each time your filters are turned off and then back on.

Upvote 0

EricDRubin

Maybe you should rinse out the body of your filter from time to time. I usually do so every few months. I have to think something isn't as it should be if this is happening each time your filters are turned off and then back on.
I rinse out the media and body of the cannister every 6 to 8 weeks.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I rinse out the media and body of the cannister every 6 to 8 weeks.
If that is the case then I have to wonder where all the muck is coming from. I only use HOB (hang on back) and sponge filters in my tanks. The last media the water in my filters goes through is poly-fill. It catches all of the fine participles that might make it past all the other media.

I've never used a canister. Maybe this is something that happens with them? I don't know. If it was happening in my tank when I turn my filters back on I would situate some poly-fill in front of the outlet to catch the muck instead of allowing it to go in my tank. I would also try my best to try to figure out why it is there and why it is dumping in my tank.

Upvote 0

EricDRubin

If that is the case then I have to wonder where all the muck is coming from. I only use HOB (hang on back) and sponge filters in my tanks. The last media the water in my filters goes through is poly-fill. It catches all of the fine participles that might make it past all the other media.

I've never used a canister. Maybe this is something that happens with them? I don't know. If it was happening in my tank when I turn my filters back on I would situate some poly-fill in front of the outlet to catch the muck instead of allowing it to go in my tank. I would also try my best to try to figure out why it is there and why it is dumping in my tank.
Its most likely debris stuck in the tubing. Cleaning that out is a pain so I do that less often (2 to 3 times a year). Its not a lot of gunk but it's enough for me to not want pushed into the tank.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Its most likely debris stuck in the tubing. Cleaning that out is a pain so I do that less often (2 to 3 times a year). Its not a lot of gunk but it's enough for me to not want pushed into the tank.
In that case putting something over the outlet is the easiest solution. It shouldn't have to stay on there for long. Just long enough for the filter to discharge all the muck.

Upvote 0

EricDRubin

In that case putting something over the outlet is the easiest solution. It shouldn't have to stay on there for long. Just long enough for the filter to discharge all the muck.
Issue is I have a spray bar... not sure how I'd filter an entire 30 inch long bar lol (see photo)

Attachments

• 20201103_163037.jpg
    20201103_163037.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

mattgirl

Issue is I have a spray bar... not sure how I'd filter an entire 30 inch long bar lol (see photo)
I see your problem. I guess you will just have to live with it or clean your tubing/spray bar more often

BTW: Very nice tank. It is going to be awesome once all those plants grow and fill it in.

Upvote 0

EricDRubin

I see your problem. I guess you will just have to live with it or clean your tubing/spray bar more often

BTW: Very nice tank. It is going to be awesome once all those plants grow and fill it in.
Thank you! I'm new to plants so I'm nervous about doing it wrong and still learning every day. Looks meh now but hoping it will be awesome in 6 months after initial melts and regrowth.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tallen78
Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
Dennis57