Python vs. Lee's vs. Aqueon?

shooter_tx
I've seen umpteen threads on here asking about Python No Spill Clean and Fill units, as well as a couple questions about Lee's Premier Ultimate Gravel Vac (usually in Python threads).

I haven't seen anything, however, about a similar faucet-powered gravel vac that I came across tonight, the Aqueon Water Changer (and gravel vac). I've been reading about these faucet-powered gravel vacs and barely missed getting to the LFS tonight, so I headed out to PetSmart.

The fish dept guy had never heard of a Python (even though they sell the Python No Spill fittings, accessories, and such.... just not the actual unit). In its place, they had the Aqueon Water Changer.

It actually looked a little better put-together than the Python, so I thought I'd come back here and try to solicit a little advice from folks who use one of these three faucet-powered gravel vacs..... bonus points if you own or have used more than one and can provide comparison information!
* actually, this link is just to the "Ultimate," as the "Premier Ultimate" isn't listed on their website

kra-z-fishmumm
The water changer part that connects to the faucet, looks like plastic, and the Python Co. has changed this part with a metal piece, It does look very similar to the Python, I have the Python and like it very much. I got it from Petsmart/Co? I believe for $40 online,, then bought a few more needed items,,, also at lower prices to get the free shipping. Worked out pretty good.

shooter_tx
About a month ago I got my Aqueon Water Changer online at Aquarium Guys for $30 (). Also picked up a freshwater Master Test Kit while I was there for $15 (). These were $48 and $29, respectively, at the LPS (Local PetSmart). I don't even want to think how much at the LFS.

I found out two things:

One, all my faucets are metric, so none of the adapters work (either the one that came with the unit, or any I could get at Home Depot, etc). I had to get a universal, which is a fancy way of saying it's a rubber hose with hose clamp on one end, and the proper standard-sized threads on the other. I'd have had to do this with any of the above three brands.

Two, I'm not very good with a venturi-based gravel vac. My kitchen sink was too weak to pull any water from the aquarium. When I moved it to one of the bathroom sinks, it was too powerful and I almost sucked up a crapload of gravel into the sink. Better luck next time.

I like it, though. I finally got the hang of it at the end, and it started sucking up a LOT of poop and stuff, but I didn't want to end up replacing any more water than the two gallons I'd already removed.

Bede
We own a Python. I've never tried any of the others so I can't compare, sorry!

Compared to our old way of cleaning tanks (using a tube to siphon and carrying buckets from the sink to refill) the Python is BEYOND comparison. It's easy to use and makes cleaning so much easier and simpler.

We did have to buy a brass fitting separately, it works much better than the plastic one sold with it.

We just remodeled our kitchen and put in a new sink and fixtures. I love my Python so much that we spent an hour or so at Lowes going through all of the facuets to see which ones would or wouldn't work with it. Even if it was one that I loved, if it wouldn't fit the Python, I wouldn't buy it. DH was a little miffed with me about it, but, hey, its mostly MY kitchen and definitely MY tank!
:;qu

Allie
I never heard of the others. They only sell the Python here. We love it.

MissMTS
I have the python too and love it. They make it with a metal adaptor now which makes things easier.

nomoreink
Is it difficult to get the temperature of the sink water to match your aquarium water?

zeddy
how do you dechlorinate the water and can you hook the python up to an r/o system

shooter_tx
nomoreink said:
Is it difficult to get the temperature of the sink water to match your aquarium water?
Until I'm in the "more tanks" club, I won't use it for adding water; just removing. The two gallon jugs I have work just fine for now, and it also allows me to age the water a bit.

That said, no, it shouldn't be difficult. You'll waste a bit of water doing this, but let it run until it's close, then capture some in a glass, test the temp with a second thermometer, then (once you're satisfied with the temp) change the water flow to the tank.

zeddy said:
how do you dechlorinate the water and can you hook the python up to an r/o system
You dechlorinate the water "at the source" (i.e. in the tank). If you know you're going to be adding 2gal of water, then pre-measure enough of your declor stuff to treat 2gal, and dump it in immediately before adding the water.

Some people direct the sink fill into the same "spot" or "area" of the tank where they dumped the declor.

As for the R/O system...... if it's anything like mine, you would empty the system reservoir just filling up the hose. There's also the issue of changing horses midstream, in that you'd have to have it hooked up to the [regular] sink to do the drain portion, and then switch it over to the R/O system for the fill portion.

FWIW, I also use R/O filtered water for filling my aquarium (because it tests out closer to optimal than the sink water). That's another reason I don't use the fill function of my hose kit.

ETA: Good discussion of water fills using the similar Python model.

Lucy
I'm going to be looking into these when I finally get my 30 gallon set up.
The thought of carrying all those buckets of water.

Top Bottom