Python vs Aqueon and others

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Has anyone done a product comparison between the famed Python and it's competitors? Aqueon makes a model I know, and there's some other brand that walmart stocks in their stores.

Just curious if anyone has actually compared them and chosen one over the other.

I'm tired of bucket hauling so this is going to be one of my next investments

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I first looked into the different brands, the main difference between them was the reliablitily of the piece that connects into the faucet. Some of them didn't screw in properly or easily broke. I don't recall which brands had those problems but you may want to look into that.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have the python. It came free with my 55 gallon and I love it. I know aqueon and Lee's both make a version. I have never used any other than the python but I recommend it highly.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea the three tanks I have going myself is making me tired of the bucket already. Probably upgrade myself soon here as well.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Check out the DIY in my sig also. It's quicker and saves a lot of water. I think the pythons waste about 5 gallons of water for every one gallon that it siphons from the tank.

EDIT: Apparently it's the other way around (5 gallons drained per 1 gallon wasted). flyin-lowe corrected me in post #9.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I checked out the link, but is there any way to get that to siphon or is it only for refilling?

inncogneatoh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I got the JBL aqau in out, which is basically the same concept as the python (JBL was the only company that I could find that sold anything like this in the UK).

Only my kitchen sink has the hot/cold going through one faucet (bathroom sink and bath have separate faucets) to regulate the temperature but I had problems getting it syphoning back into the sink when emptying the tank.

Brainwave then came. I managed to get a smaller faucet connector to connect the JBL Aqua in out to the shower's hand-held uhm..washing thingy...which is long enough to lay at ground level and it has the added bonus of having a temperature dial on the shower so its much easier to set the correct temperature for filling the tank.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks inncogneatoh, was thinking if I could get one of those in the UK!!

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
funkman262 said:
Check out the DIY in my sig also. It's quicker and saves a lot of water. I think the pythons waste about 5 gallons of water for every one gallon that it siphons from the tank.
I don't think this is an accurate statement based on experience. I might be wrong but here is why I say this. I turn my cold water on about 1/4-1/2 way to start a siphon. I know from experience that it would take at least 10-15 minutes to fill a five gallon bucket of water from my bathroom sink only turned part way on. I also know that I can drain 20 gallons of water from my 120 gallon tank in about 10 minutes. So I think it's the opposite. I would guess that I use 1 gallon of water from my sink for every 5-10 gallons of water that I drain.

inncogneatoh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think I got mine from zooplus TigerFishy if it's any help.

Sadly they're not cheap but they're worth it if you have a lot of tanks to do, or a big tank.

One word of caution, make sure you get a really tight connection on the end that goes in the tank, they have a cut off valve so that you don't have to run back to the taps when it's full, but if it's not on tight enough, the pressure will pop the connector off and you'll have a mini flood on your carpet

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Monmouth said:
I checked out the link, but is there any way to get that to siphon or is it only for refilling?
You start the siphon by turning the water on with the other end in the tank, wait for the hose to fill with water, then remove the end from the showerhead. The water just drains from there.

flyin-lowe said:
I don't think this is an accurate statement based on experience. I might be wrong but here is why I say this. I turn my cold water on about 1/4-1/2 way to start a siphon. I know from experience that it would take at least 10-15 minutes to fill a five gallon bucket of water from my bathroom sink only turned part way on. I also know that I can drain 20 gallons of water from my 120 gallon tank in about 10 minutes. So I think it's the opposite. I would guess that I use 1 gallon of water from my sink for every 5-10 gallons of water that I drain.
I don't exactly follow everything you're saying here but I think you might be right about the ratio I used; it might be the other way around (5 gallons drained per 1 gallon wasted). I tried finding where I read that but no luck. Maybe someone else can verify. Thank you.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry for the confusion. The original quote stated that he thought they wasted 5 gallons of water from the faucet for every gallon of water that siphoned from the tank. I think that is way off. I would say a couple gallons runs from my faucet for every twenty gallons from the tank.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think that is more accurate. Based on how long it takes me to fill a one gallon jug from my sink vs. How long it takes me to siphon out 20 gallons from my tank I don't think siphoning 20 gallons would waste more than 5 gallons of water.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The amount of water wasted compared to what comes from the tank is going to depend on how hard the faucet has to work to draw water from the tank. If it's drawing from about an equal level, it's going to work a lot harder than if it's drawing from several feet up. And, as funkman pointed out, usually you only have to turn the faucet on long enough to get water flowing through the hose. Then, as long as the water level is above the outflow of the hose, it will continue to drain on its own. Of course, having the faucet on may speed the process by creating suction, but that's unnecessary.

I'm sorry, Jetajockey. I have not tried any of the brands other than Python. I do know that, a few years ago, Python switched to using a brass piece to attach to the faucet, as the plastic pieces they were using had a tendency to get stripped from being constantly attached to and detached from faucets. The rest of the setup is still plastic, but it's got the larger thread, which doesn't get stripped as quickly as the extremely fine thread on the faucet attachment piece. I think you'd be able to find at a hardware store a brass faucet-to-hose attachment piece that you could use to attach to any of the brands. With that, I think that most of the brands would be pretty equal in quality.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks sirdarksol, based on the prices i've seen they are fairly close in price, the cheapest is around 35 but I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for something that everyone trusts in.

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have had my Python for ten years with no problems.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads