Python Vacuums

Lisamrvt

Valued Member
Reaction score
(The one that hooks up directly to the tap) how do you condition the water before adding it? Or do u add the prime to the tank before adding the water directly from the tap. I just bought the 25’ python from amazon. Up till now I’ve been lugging buckets and conditioning the water in each bucket before adding it to the tank.

eirynne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I love my python vacuum!!! It makes water changes so convenient!

I siphon out the tank water and then add enough prime to condition the entire tank (i.e. if the tank is 30gal put in enough prime for 30gal of water) before adding in the tap water. I also make sure that the tap water is approximately the same temperature before putting it back in. I just do this by touch (and I'm usually 2-3 degrees off) but I'm sure you could use a thermometer to be more exact!

Lisamrvt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I just wasnt sure if this was harmful to the fish. This will make emptying and filling ALOT easier!

FishGuy99

Reaction score
Sweet! I just wasnt sure if this was harmful to the fish. This will make emptying and filling ALOT easier!
Thanks for asking this question!!! I was wondering the same thing. I watched a video this morning about the Python and that's the first question I had! Answered!

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not a fan of the Python system. Setting up and then draining and putting away is more work than a few buckets IMO. Plus remaining water in the tubing will grow algae.
I guess if I had a very big tank I might feel different?

Lisamrvt

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Python system. Setting up and then draining and putting away is more work than a few buckets IMO. Plus remaining water in the tubing will grow algae.
My tank is 75g..I was having to empty and refill with 6 heavy buckets each. PITA! And usually more went on the floor. Just tired of the heavy lifting and mess. If I had a small tank it wouldn’t be worth it to by the python for sure.

Lisamrvt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well ****! I made the impulse buy for the python and now after seeing how it actually works I’m concerned about the amount of water I’ll be wasting with every water change. I try to be environmentally friendly as much as I can.. this is disappointing :-(

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well ****! I made the impulse buy for the python and now after seeing how it actually works I’m concerned about the amount of water I’ll be wasting with every water change. I try to be environmentally friendly as much as I can.. this is disappointing :-(
I wouldn’t bother using the water the whole time you syphon your tank. Once you get it going it will keep going. Like I hang my hose out the door to my garden so I don’t even use the faucet to syphon only to fill, that way you won’t waste water:)

Lisamrvt

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t bother using the water the whole time you syphon your tank. Once you get it going it will keep going. Like I hang my hose out the door to my garden so I don’t even use the faucet to syphon only to fill, that way you won’t waste water:)
Good idea! I didn’t know if that would work or not :)

esqueff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do the same! I actually get a lot more suction as well (probably double) and it makes the whole water change even faster

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do the same! I actually get a lot more suction as well (probably double) and it makes the whole water change even faster
I agree with you because in my house out the door has a much better drop so way more gravity but I do find that the syphon attachment still isn’t as good as the hand held syphon.

I use a pond pump to pump the water out even faster and syphon the bottom after. Lol I think I’m impatient but the tank is also 210g so it takes awhile either way.

mohican

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also have a 75 gallon tank dose right into stream going into tank with no issues. I only dose for amount of new water. I do 50% water changes so only do 1 capful. Love my python system; had it for years.

Joker77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Given enough time and only doing <50% water changes isn't the concentration of declorinator in the tank going to slowly build up over time. I know there is a huge safety factor built into products like prime but given enough time could things go bad? Or does the declorinator disipate as its used?(ie bind with the clorine then evaporate off?) That was the reason I started doing water changes with buckets because I could dose each 5G exactly but after a couple water changes hauling buckets I bought a syphon and tap attachement for a hose. I dose for the entire volume of the tank and usually do at least a 60% change.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just lift the hose higher then my sink as I am winding it up and the water drains out. I have had mine for 10 plus year (a few of those in storage) and there is no growth inside of it. In my opinion if you have a "large" tank the Python can be a lifesaver. I am no a well so I am not super concerned about the water running while it vacs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom