Python vacuums

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

What are they exactly? I know they are vacuums...I saw two types in the store. One was a siphon while the other claimed not to be a siphon. I already have a siphon, so I was thinking about getting the non-siphon one, the one that "operates on water pressure". Just wondering if any of y'all have that one, how it works, all of that. The Python site and the store clerk didn't help.

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Hopefully Gunnie will happen in, she has a python and loves it and can tell you more about it.
    Carol

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I absolutely love mine, and would probably not have a 100 gal. and 55 gal. tank running in my house if I didn't have one! They make water changing so easy. You just hook the one end up to your faucet or outside water hose, set it to suck water or to add water, and you are off! The other end is your gravel hose, so you clean your gravel, and all that water goes down your drain or out into your garden instead of into a 5 gal. bucket! Then you just reverse the connection at the faucet and the water goes back into the tank! I add my dechlor as the water is going into the tank, and within a few minutes, you are done! No back problems, no spilling water, and it's so fast! My fish actually play in the new water as it's going in the tank. It is so worth every penny! The only problems I have heard have been that some folks with low water pressure don't get good results. Good water pressure is definately required for a python. Folks also complain about the connectors included with your python as being cheap and they break easy. That is true. I have finally purchased a replacement connector that is brass, and I have no more problems. I have also heard that the new python kits include a better connector now. Also, another issue is the water temp. You will have to adjust it just as you would if you were filling buckets from your tap to add back into the tank. I usually adjust it by feel. Of course you have no control if you are connected to your outside hose, but that is usually not an issue for me since I live in Florida. Just something to think about! It also uses more water this way. I think it uses 1 gallon for every 7 gallons syphoned, so just keep that in mind. Since I syphon my water outside to my plants, I don't worry about it too much. It really makes your shrubs and outside plants especially green!

www.pythonproducts.com

4. Janmitch22 Member Member

Gunnie, that's what I thought, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. That...sounds...wooooonderful! And with all of the poopies my pleco makes, that's a dream come true. Another thing to add to my wishlist. Thankie, Gunnie!

5. not4you Member Member

I have a question about attaching the Python to the faucet. The threads on the faucet I would use are very small so that you couldn't hook up a normal hose to it. Does the Python come with any adapters to fit different size threads on the faucet? If not, do they make adapters?

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I think you can get different adaptors at the hardware store if the one that comes with the python doesn't fit.
    Carol

7. not4you Member Member

Thanks Carol, I thought about that after I posted. I'll see what comes with the Python and if the right adapter is not there then it off to Home Depot.

These buckets need to go!!!

8. Maida_gc Member Member

I have one that's about 25 feet! Works like a dream. It is a huge advantage, and makes PWC so easy. Without one, I'm not sure I would stay as diligent and my fish may not be as happy. There are a few different sizes to attach them to your faucet. Get one, and be glad you did.