Python system filter

Drewbacca
I have a Python gravel cleaning system that hooks up to my sink for water changes. This used to work really well. However, I have mollies and Endlers in my aquarium, and the little suckers are way too curious, especially the fry. I've had to panic several times over the last couple weeks as little bastards keep swimming into the tubing and get sucked up. I've always been able to rescue them (that I know of), but it means constantly being on alert. I have a 55 gallon and do 50% water changes since I'm dosing with Thrive+. Others have mentioned putting a fish net or stockings over the intake, but that would filter out the grime that I'm trying to vacuum out of the substrate. Does anyone know of any solutions to put some kind of filter inside the tubing so that I can still gravel vacuum but not have to worry about sucking up fish? I think putting something on the end of the intake would prevent me from vacuuming deep in the substrate.

Or, should I just forget about vacuuming since I have plants to consume some of the waste and Malaysian trumpet snails to stir up any gas spots?

johnbirg
Hi, I use seachem pristine at each weekly water change. Been using it for about 8 months now and check the gravel each water change. I noticed from about the 3 month mark that there was hardly any muck in the gravel so I guess the pristine does what it claims. I haven't vacuumed the gravel for 5 months now and all seems fine.

Advertisement
Drewbacca
What about something I could use to keep fish and substrate from being sucked up but still let’s through the grime and can be stuck into the substrate to vacuum deeply?

BruneJuice
I would gravel vac with a separate siphon going into a large tub or a bucket then if you do manage to suck up a fish it will be easy to scoop them out and return to the tank. It would be tough to find something small enough to not let fry through and still be able to suck up debris.

Cichlidude
Just put a piece of plastic mesh up inside the tube.

kallililly1973
I've seen some use either plastic pot scrubbers or some polyfill in the gravel tube just be sure to hold your hand over it when you pull it out or its gonna shoot back into the tank. I just raise the Water Changer up and let wem slide out and go hit a different area.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
acerrato
Replies
Views
hanra85
Replies
Views