Python hose!

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by freak78, Dec 25, 2012.

1. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Just got a 50ft Aqueon python hose for Christmas. Had to try a 50% water change. Wow what a difference! No mess at all and no more buckets of water to fool with. Man why did it take me so long to get this.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's the question everyone asks themselves....

3. LisaAnne

LisaAnne Valued Member Member

I am so thrilled to hear this because I just ordered the python 50'!!! Any further advice you could give me since you have had it for a few weeks now? lol I've been hauling buckets for too long! I am super excited about this product!

4. Jaysee

welcome to the forum

5. LisaAnne

Thank you :)

6. Jaysee

something that might be a problem with the 50 foot hose is the power of the siphon. The longer the hose, the weaker it is. That, in combination with tank and sink placement, might cause it to not function as well. If you run into this trouble, you could splice a pump in the line to more or less supercharge it. That will certainly save a lot of water since you won't have to run the faucet at full power. You wouldn't have to run the faucet at all, and it will save time.

7. LisaAnne

Thanks for the advice! I will certainly keep that in mind! I'll be using it on my 180 gallon tank so the added speed could be a real benefit! I read somewhere else that when cleaning my tank it would probably work better to just run the 50' hose out and drain on the lawn. Then connect the hose to the sink to refill my tank. That way I'll have a greater drop for a faster siphon. Can't wait to give this thing a try!!! Thanks again for the advice!!! :)

8. Jaysee

Oh, then you DEFINITELY want to get a pump.

9. LisaAnne

...then I am so glad we had this conversation before I tried the thing out! lol Now I know better what to expect!

10. Jaysee

something like this, that can be an inline pump.

11. LisaAnne

Thanks again! I love all the helpful answers I have found/received from fishlore! So helpful! I really appreciate the time everyone takes helping each other out! :)

12. S

Sturty Valued Member Member

LisaAnne can i ask you something off topic sorry, the Cyphotilapia Frontosa in your profile picture, have you had it long?
    Im looking at maybe getting some for a 180gal and was wondering if you had any other fish in with them? Im looking for possible tank mates.

13. LisaAnne

Hi Sturty! I have had this front only about a year and a half. He is one of 4. I LOVE those fish! I do have a few other fish in the tank with them. Currently I have 6 labeotropheus fuelleborni (3 of which are only fry... I can't seem to not breed my fuelleborni! lol), 1 cobwe afra and 2 plecos. They all seem to get along just fine. I had a couple of BEAUTIFUL red top ndumbi, and maingano in the tank at one point but, the largest male of each kind proved to be to aggressive so I had to part with those. Honestly, my other cichlids (past and current) never really bothered my fronts and the fronts have not bothered them. In fact, on more than one occasion my fronts have broken up fights between my other fish! lol The one thing I will say is that all my current tank mates have been together since they were juvenile fish so that could be, in part, why they get along as well as they do. It can be a bit trickier adding new tank mates once they have gotten larger, as I am sure you already know. If you have the option of allowing your fish to grow up together I highly recommend that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice