Pygmy Sunfish Elassoma Okefenokee | Page 4

1. minervalong Well Known Member Member

I am making progress on the frozen brine shrimp, saw 4 of them eat them today. They are clearing out bbs fairly quickly too. I have split my grindal worms so they haven't had any of those in a couple of days, may be able to feed them tonite. I know they eat those too.

I just read a thread that said they will graze on the bottom and I think they do at night. At least, the moss seems to be cleaner in the am's. What I really need to do is get a bigger piece of matted moss so I can gauge it better, nothing shows up on the white sand lol.

So far I think I have 4 pairs, plus. But it is hard to count them all, they are so dodgy and you cannot see them in the grass. When I do the water change this week, I'm going to lift a lot of the plants so I can try to get a good count.

2. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Where did you get your original culture?

3. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Could be mosquito pupae.

Interesting fish!

4. NightShade Well Known Member Member

@Cricket lynn mclean - Ok, we need to be able to rate a post several things... "love" "informative"... awesome etc ;)

That is SO INTERESTING/EXCITING about removing the adults 2 months in, or when fry appear, whichever comes first!! Woo hoo.. 2 months... lol, I'm excited for y'all!!

Btw - Ugh, gee... thanks for making my fish wish list even LONGER!!! :p lmao

...to be fair, I had actually seen this species before, & was interested.. hence the interest in the thread.. but I need a scapegoat! Lol

I do agree with @TexasDomer... your comment makes sense.. but it would be a fun challenge, (in tank b.worm reproduction) and, even if you could only get them to hang out in the substrate (whether they breed there or not) you would have to witness really interesting hunting techniques right? (unique to the species.. maybe?) that's where my interest came in. I'll send you that link, because she had amazing success with it, and it's worth a shot (I like a challenge - and to follow others working through challenges/experiments).
    I also did a google search of blackworms reproducing in fw aquariums, & some ppl seemed to have infestations, but it obviously seemed to have to do with the tank inhabitants (if I introduced b.w. to my mystery snail tank, I bet I'd have one. — that was my line of thinking anyways — please correct my line of thinking if I'm wrong, I love to learn and research! :)

5. NightShade Well Known Member Member

There's supposedly only two places to get them (the other one I either imagined I saw it once, or never found out lol)
    https://aquaticfoods.com/LiveBlackwormsM.html

It's a place I've heard is highly recommended - though no first hand experience

I also have PLENTY of links to blackworm culturing the usual refrigeration way, & in an aquarium with paper, or other various substrate (one is a guide to culturing for scientific study)

6. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Apistogramma have a hard time eating Blackworms, so I don't think I would try to feed them to Pygmy Sunfish. There are cultures of Tubificid worms that can be maintained, and the ones they use are much smaller than Blackworms, even smaller than regular Tubifex. But getting those cultures is still difficult. Stick with the Brine Shrimp. (found out I can't just use the two letters, LOL!)

7. NightShade Well Known Member Member

@chromedome52 Thank you, for me at least, that was invaluable information to me, never really heard that (don't remember hearing either way, actually) and rating your post "informative" just didn't cut it. ;)

...abbreviating Brine Shrimp lmao

Sorry to keep posting.. this is just really exciting to me. I think I might have to get some. Seriously. (Lol, would adult mystery snails in a heavily planted tank be bad tank mates? Silly question, I know)

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Hmm, I was thinking that they could eat blackworms because they seem to break apart quite easily.

My LFS get blackworms in, so I get them there. Pretty cheap, actually! Cheaper for me than ordering them through those sites.

9. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

It seems like white worms are the food of choice. Not too hard to grow either but kinda slow. Are microworms a decent sized food for them?

10. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Have you tried to harvest white worms? I think they are pretty easy tho kinda slow. Do they eat microworms? You have those going right?

11. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Yesterdays feedings were good. I actually saw about 4 eating the frozen brine shrimp, and from what I can tell in the tank this am, they scavenged some off the bottom. They did eat grindal worms for supper, and I know they scavenged them because I put a huge chunk of java moss in and a lot got tangled up it in, but are not there this am.

I dropped some microworms in, saw several snatch at them. So I think I am on the right track now. Grindals, micros, bbs and frozen brine shrimp have all been accepted. When I get some grown out brineys, will try them live. All I can see are plump, and all seem to be growing, boys are all darkening up.

One little fella has established territory in the back corner of the tank, he will dance for a lady, even approach her, but I don't think the girls are ready to play house yet. They all end up running from him lol. I am going to split that java moss today, set up 4 chunks as I know I have four boys. After my daughters wedding in two weeks, I'll set up the 7g and put two pairs in there.

These are fascinating little guys, and I do believe they are nocturnal to some degree. They will not chase food, if it floats near them, ok, they might swim half an inch to get it lol. But I'm almost positive they graze the bottom of leftovers, after the wedding will put in more time on that question.

They certainly are a challenge on the food front, and their behavior is not like most fish towards it. They don't come to the front at feeds, in fact they dart away from the tubing I use to target feed.

Again, thanks for all the help and info, @Cricket lynn mclean, you have done as much research as I have I think. You are top of the list for a pair if I can get them to breed. And everyone's input has been so welcome, this is really a very good learning experience for me and your expertise is invaluable.

12. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Please keep posting, your info and questions help me. And I certainly want the little beggars to do well.

I don't know about the mystery snails. I put one in the tank with mine to scavenge some of the uneaten food for now. After the wedding, I will take him out and do better observation of the fishes scavenging. I think I am going to put a very small hob on the tank, with all the unknown fate of the food, I just am jittery about water quality.

13. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Microworms are supposedly more for fry as are bbs, but I see my semi adults eating them.

I have microworms, grindal (definitely accepted) and bbs as live food, with frozen brineys (somewhat accepted). I have a culture of vinegar eels, another fry food, it's not mature right now so haven't fed it yet. Oh, and they LOVE mosquito larvae, I set up a canner outside and harvest from there every other day. I also have a small tank set up to grow out brineys, to see if they will take adult one's live.

My girls are cracking up at me. For their whole lives, it has been my house everyone gathers at, and I am known to feed masses. My kids, nieces, nephews, foster kids, kids friends, our friends. Now that all of the kids have grown and I don't have a houseful much anymore, I am obsessing over feeding these tiny little fish. For some reason, they just find it hilarious.

14. minervalong Well Known Member Member

I'm going to keep trying the more common live foods for now. Who eats what and when I will keep better notes of after my girl's wedding. The one thing I haven't explored yet is putting a small livebearer in with them, or ghost shrimp to produce young for the sunnys to hunt. I'm going to try to not go that far.

So now, brine shrimp will have to be brineys lol, as I will never be able to refer to them as again. :D

15. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Nothing local gets them in so it would have to be a mail order. And 40$ plus shipping is pricey. So I am going to keep trying the more common foods. If necessary, I will go that route, but am trying to keep away from it.

From what I understand, blackworms don't actually reproduce in FW. They multiply by separation. When broken, each segment will regrow to full adult blackworm.

16. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Yeah I was thinking about the live bearer thing too but you gotta remember that in turn the pygmy fry may be food for the live bearer as well :/ I've seen a ghost shrimp eat a dime sized angelfish fry :eek:

I had thought the same thing about black worms btw

Had I shared this yet?

Egilberti in Focus

Or maybe you found it on your own? Or maybe you shared it with me lol

17. NightShade Well Known Member Member

They usually don't in aquaria.. it is by breaking apart. But that thread I sent, (I'll look when I have time later... have a much needed lazy day planned for later this afternoon/evening.. need more than that lol!) actually addresses that subject - what conditions may work... ? can't remember now right though, so don't quote me.. I'm tired lol

Geez, you're working on a wedding right now? I bet you can relate feeling tired! o_O

My parents house was the same with my brothers friends, & theirs... except I was usually always the cook! My mom did too, for sure, but I absolutely love it... right now our house is a mess (moved in a year ago, but have so much renovation work, we still have boxes), so I can't do that here... for people at least ;) lol I do for my man, but also for fishies & snails :cool:

18. NightShade Well Known Member Member

Please let me know how those Mystery Snails & sunfish do together! At this point, I have so many mysteries, that I shouldn't set up a tank that can't handle them lol... don't let their babies hatch is all I will say.

19. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Are they asexual?

20. NightShade Well Known Member Member

No, but can store sperm for like 6 months iirc... could be longer

I had a male as well as a female when my mysteries babies hatched..but she laid on her own before, but I was just smart enough to remove them

I just meant that I have ALOT.. and any new tank helps, because they're messy, & need to be spread out