Pygmy Sunfish Elassoma Okefenokee

1. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Has anyone ever kept these? I think they would be grand for a 10g nano. I've read conflicting info on pH, kH. Some use RO water but others use regular aged tap with dechlorinator.
    Any experiences with them?

2. yukondog Well Known Member Member

I caught and kept them about 40 yrs. ago and from what I can remember I had them in a reg. tank nothing special they breed and did fine.

3. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Thanks, they are coming from an RO tank, so I should drip acclimate them right? My water is a bit hard at about 7gh, 5kh and 7.5 ph but was told this would be ok.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Should be fine as long as you acclimate them well! Drip acclimation would be fine, just make sure it's not too long either.

5. minervalong Well Known Member Member

I was wondering if it could take too long. I have an iv setup I will use to acclimate. About 2 drops per second? For what, an hour?

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't drip acclimate myself, so I'm not sure on the drips per second. I wouldn't do it longer than 2-3 hours though. You want most of the water they're in to be tank water before adding them to your tank.

7. NavigatorBlack Well Known Member Member

Drip acclimation leaves them in dirty shipping water...

I kept them til about 3 years ago. Mine never took non living food. I tried, they ignored. It had to be artemia, daphnia, etc. Otherwise, they were great. They bred, but I lost them on skewed sex ratios.

8. minervalong Well Known Member Member

I have cultures of vinegar eels and microworms already, will set up a brine shrimp factory too. So I should look up artemia and daphnia culturing.

I was going to put them into a plastic pitcher with only enough water to cover them with a drop of prime, then drip acclimate with 2-3 drips per second. Will this leave them too long?

9. NavigatorBlack Well Known Member Member

I never drip acclimate anything, honestly.

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't either, but I also haven't gotten anything from straight RO water. I usually add a cup of tank water to their old water every 10-20 mins, until it's mostly tank water, then pop them in the tank. Usually takes no more than an hour.

11. minervalong Well Known Member Member

ok, great. will do a quick acclimation, the tank is mature with fire shrimp, mystery snail and a false julii. should I move any of these out?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They may eat juvenile shrimp. Not sure how they'll do with a cory. I don't know if they're territorial or not (even tiny fish can be territorial!). Are you going to rehome that cory or get more?

13. minervalong Well Known Member Member

I am going to move this cory to the 30g with a school of salt and peppers. Julii was a rescue, lived in the 7g a while, then a 10 and tomorrow going into the 30. I don't have a mom and pop shop around here that would take it, so, she will just have to get along with the barneys.

14. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I have read you can add black worms and they will colonize in your substrate to provide some ongoing food though you would need to add more every month or so.

15. NavigatorBlack Well Known Member Member

They eat shrimp. In the same net with them, I caught ghost shrimp, and I put cherry shrimp in with them as a food source. The adults were fine, but I saw zero young. I expect the Elassoma saw quite a few.
    I would move the Cory out. They need to be the only fish in there.
    I caught them with Heterandria formosa in very shallow weedy water. There were lots of Gambusia affinis and sailfin mollies around a foot or so deeper. But the pygmy sunfish lived under logs in thick weeds, in 6 inches to a foot of shoreline water.

They are tiny, but they are fierce predators, and very aggressive, in a micro kind of way.

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would have a colony of blackworms outside of their tank. They'd likely eat them too quickly for the colony to maintain itself.

17. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

This is what my contact said about the gulf coast pygmy sunfish

They are more fussy than killifish regarding what foods they'll eat, and they eat slowly, so it's tricky to get enough food to them if you're trying to keep them with faster-eating fish. I usually keep them alone or with other super-tiny fish and feed mainly live worms, mosquito larvae, fresh-hatched brine shrimp, Ceriodaphnia, Cyclops, etc. They'll eat some frozen foods, but do better with live foods in my experience. They almost never eat dry foods. They're wonderful little fish for patient people, but if you want responsive fish that greet you when you walk in the room, you'll find these guys pretty boring. No heater or filter required - just plants and a little stream of bubbles to move water. Water can be hard or soft; they're not picky about that.

18. minervalong Well Known Member Member

And besides that, I read that some of the blackworm cultures also contain some kind of leech. UGH lol. I think I will go with microworms, brine shrimp, vinegar eels and maybe a grindal worm.

19. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Ok, so the tank I had in mind for them is already scaped and planted, but has a filter and heater. Maybe I should choose another tank for them with only an air stone. But how do you keep ammonia levels at 0 without a filter?

20. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I have read folks doing both ways. @NavigatorBlack ?
    I'm so excited for you :) I read about tank set ups and it said either use the walstad method. Or what you have. But I'll find it to be more specific.