Pygmy or Dwarf cories?

Dan12boy

I'm trying to form up my tank for when I start getting more fish and I wanted to know which of these cories would be the better, (possibly hardier?) option. It's a 20g long with three female guppies, adding a male soon, and some bladder snails. It has some plants in but not that much, I plan to get as many as I can and then in like a month or more I'd be ready to get the cories since they're the next fishes on my little list.

Motherlovebetta

I love my habrosus (salt and pepper) cories!

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

I love my habrosus (salt and pepper) cories!
I should also say I have them in a cycled but fairly new tank and haven’t had any visits from the fish fairy! They were tiny tiny when I got them. The LFS said they are more hardy than Pygmy, pandas but I’m sure others would disagree. Since I have only had the salt and pepper I can only comment to their hardiness.
Are they big? I wanted small ones since I plan on still adding some honey gouramis and possibly cherry shrimp
Not at all they are full grown and just under an inch.
You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

I should also say I have them in a cycled but fairly new tank and haven’t had any visits from the fish fairy! They were tiny tiny when I got them. The LFS said they are more hardy than Pygmy, pandas but I’m sure others would disagree. Since I have only had the salt and pepper I can only comment to their hardiness.

Not at all they are full grown and just under an inch.
You must be registered to see images
Omg I might pick them instead then, how many would I need to have together? I'm guessing about 6-10?

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

I only have 4 because that’s all they had left and they all stick together. I call every Tuesday to see if they have more in (crazy lady) I will get a few more. I’m also looking at putting some honeys in and maybe some shrimp once the tank is a little older. I have a 15g fluval flex.

Upvote 0

Magua

I have 6 hasbrosus and I adore them! They’re so, so busy all the time with zero concept of personal space, jumping all over each other. I was looking to get pygmy corys but they didn’t have any so I got these instead. So glad I did!!

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

I only have 4 because that’s all they had left and they all stick together. I call every Tuesday to see if they have more in (crazy lady) I will get a few more. I’m also looking at putting some honeys in and maybe some shrimp once the tank is a little older. I have a 15g fluval flex.
Oh aww maybe try getting some online? I usually wouldn't since it's kinda scary. Are they at least doing good for now? I'm guessing it's a petsmart or petco? But yes honeys seem cool, I wanted sparkling but I'm going with honeys. Shrimp would be cool for right now but I feel like I need it to be an established tank first.
I have 6 hasbrosus and I adore them! They’re so, so busy all the time with zero concept of personal space, jumping all over each other. I was looking to get pygmy corys but they didn’t have any so I got these instead. So glad I did!!
Hasbrosus is the dwarf I'm guessing? But okay those stay on the list then, I wish I could get two different types of cories but my tank sadly isn't big enoughh

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

Habrosus are the salt and pepper same thing. No it’s the LFS I go to. They are just fine. Swim in a line all over the tank chasing each other. One (or two) of them have even laid eggs. I would get 10 if you have a 20 long! Go for it!

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

Habrosus are the salt and pepper same thing. No it’s the LFS I go to. They are just fine. Swim in a line all over the tank chasing each other. One (or two) of them have even laid eggs. I would get 10 if you have a 20 long! Go for it!
Wait really? TEN??? Even though I want to get like 4 honey gouramis and some shrimp later on? Probably assassin snails too since I'm probably going to have a bladder snail problem

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

Wait really? TEN??? Even though I want to get like 4 honey gouramis and some shrimp later on? Probably assassin snails too since I'm probably going to have a bladder snail problem
At least 6 up to 10. They should be at a different level of the tank from the honeys. I’ve never had shrimp but I can’t imagine they have a big bioload and the shrimp and the corys both clean up. They are little so a big group would look nice they are so fun! Start with 6 and you can always add if you want. I have a different 50 gallon with 12 albinos and they party in there!

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

At least 6 up to 10. They should be at a different level of the tank from the honeys. I’ve never had shrimp but I can’t imagine they have a big bioload and the shrimp and the corys both clean up. They are little so a big group would look nice they are so fun! Start with 6 and you can always add if you want. I have a different 50 gallon with 12 albinos and they party in there!
That's gonna be awesome, definitely getting them then. I wish I could have another type of cory in there or even ottos but too small of a tank. Someday when I have a bigger one I definitely will!

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

I would have either really fine gravel or sand substrate if you are doing tiny cories and shrimp too. Post pics when you get everything going! Cories are babes you are going to love them!

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

I would have either really fine gravel or sand substrate if you are doing tiny cories and shrimp too. Post pics when you get everything going! Cories are babes you are going to love them!
I asked like yesterday if my gravel would be good enough and I was given the okay, it's not really fine gravel but it's also not sharp at all. It's not big gravel either.

Upvote 0

Magua

I asked like yesterday if my gravel would be good enough and I was given the okay, it's not really fine gravel but it's also not sharp at all. It's not big gravel either.
In my 29g I have black diamond blasting sand that works really well. But then I have a small area of regular old aquarium gravel. My corys (hasbrosus and false julii) seem to like both equally. I’m guessing they get more to eat on the sand since little bits don’t fall between the cracks like they do on gravel.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

In my 29g I have black diamond blasting sand that works really well. But then I have a small area of regular old aquarium gravel. My corys (hasbrosus and false julii) seem to like both equally. I’m guessing they get more to eat on the sand since little bits don’t fall between the cracks like they do on gravel.
I'd redo my tank to add sand instead but that'd be a lot of work especially since I just finally got done "scaping" the tank. I have snails so whatever the cories don't get I bet the snails or guppy fry will.

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

I just got home I picked up my honeys for my tank with the salt and peppers finally. Pretty sure I got one male and one female. They look pretty happy in there so far. Actually are making the cories more active! I’ll try and get a picture if they both come out. Being camera shy right now.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

I just got home I picked up my honeys for my tank with the salt and peppers finally. Pretty sure I got one male and one female. They look pretty happy in there so far. Actually are making the cories more active! I’ll try and get a picture if they both come out. Being camera shy right now.
Is two enough? Thought they had to be in groups but ahhhh sounds exciting. I get a male guppy on Saturday but no more new fish for about a month, I wanna have a job to be able to easily by what I'll need.

Upvote 0

Qzar61

I'm trying to form up my tank for when I start getting more fish and I wanted to know which of these cories would be the better, (possibly hardier?) option. It's a 20g long with three female guppies, adding a male soon, and some bladder snails. It has some plants in but not that much, I plan to get as many as I can and then in like a month or more I'd be ready to get the cories since they're the next fishes on my little list.
I've had green dwarf 2, in my 20 long for about 3 months and one is 1.5 inches and the bigger and plumper (female?) is 1.75 or so. I added them when there were Buenos Aires tetras and they were picked on for the first week. I got lucky and everything has been good. I'm adding 3 more for social purposes.

So pygmy's get to 1 inch, dwarf 1.5 to 2. Dwarfs do about 5-6 or pygmys like 6-10. You have good plan. Corys are a blast Good luck

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank Pandas or Pygmys
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
Replies
Views
Oriongal
  • Question
Replies