Pygmy/dwarf corydoras in 20 gal?

User1

I'm slowly stocking my 20 gallon and have been planning corydoras for a while, currently my stocking plan (not mentioning snails) is 2 or 3 female guppies, 1 small pleco (a species under 4 inches), and a school of 5 corydoras. But I can't really decide on the type of cory, my LFSs have a ton but I haven't seen pygmy/dwarf yet. I've wanted to choose these just because they're half the size of some other corydoras, so I assume they produce less ammonia, and at least take up less space. And the tank would be bigger for the actual catfish themselves.
Do you think I'll have luck ever finding them at fish stores? How rare are they to find? How much did they cost?

Thanks for the answers! (an FYI my stocking is only my snails and 2 guppies currently)
I'm slowly stocking my 20 gallon and have been planning corydoras for a while, currently my stocking plan (not mentioning snails) is 2 or 3 female guppies, 1 small pleco (a species under 4 inches), and a school of 5 corydoras. But I can't really decide on the type of cory, my LFSs have a ton but I haven't seen pygmy/dwarf yet. I've wanted to choose these just because they're half the size of some other corydoras, so I assume they produce less ammonia, and at least take up less space. And the tank would be bigger for the actual catfish themselves.
Do you think I'll have luck ever finding them at fish stores? How rare are they to find? How much did they cost?

Thanks for the answers! (an FYI my stocking is only my snails and 2 guppies currently)
"Their popularity means that most pet stores have a supply, so they are readily available – each fish will cost around $2." Literally as soon as I post this I find this in a care sheet, guess I'll just have to keep an eye out.

Ouse

Pygmy cories are quite easy to find. Most if not all pygmy cories you see in fish shops will be tank bred.

They do have a smaller bioload to their cousins, correct. If you stock sensibly, overall bioload doesn’t even need to be considered.

20 gallons should be large enough for a group of any corydoras, however the length and width of the tank are more important than the volume when considering the room fish have in there.

Upvote 0

PAcanis

Pandas stay on the smaller size, but not like the pygmy varieties.
I did not see any pygmies at my LFS until I specifically asked for them. They got in Habrosus/Salt & Pepper and apparently one actual Pygmy, which I wound up with when I went back for more. He was the last one. They said they sold right out.

I imagine they don't not keep up with every fish mentioned on the forums or available online. They also had some Rams, but someone had asked to get some in and that is all they ordered with no extras.

So I'd ask if you don't see them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AquaticLeopard
  • Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question