Pygmy Corys!!!

1. Broq15 Initiate Member

I just got three brand new pygmy corys. Anyone have these little fellas? Any advice or stories you have to share? What food do you feed them--success?

I know they're carniverous and accept a wide range of commercial flakes. Do any of you feed yours frozen foods or live worms?

To ensure good health, they must be fed first thing in the morning and just after the lights are extinguished at night I have read

They're still in the baggy getting acclimated. I hope they like their new 20L planted home...

I can't wait to release them and see how my 2 pandas will react. I hope they all become one gang!

2. Shadowbeam Member Member

Congrats on your pygmy corys! Good luck on getting them settled and can't wait to see some pictures, they sound so cute ;)

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I've kept c. pygmaeus before and found them to be somewhat difficult to keep. My only advice is to stick with a strict maintenance routine and keep water quality excellent. Mine accepted a lot of different foods, but I didn't have long term success with them. I hope yours do well! :)

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats on your fish. There are a few different varieties of dwarf corys, but only two that I've seen available. Pygmaeus, habrosus and hastasus all share many characteristics, though there are some differences. For starters, they do best in large schools (10+) - small schools tend to whither away and die. Pygmies aren't exactly the bottom dwellers you'd expect from corys. They like to swim around the middle of the tank, where the other two are bottom dwellers like their larger cousins. They are all omnivours, eating both plant and animal matter.

I'm sure they'll love your tank.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I've got 2 C Habrosus. Started with 3, fish aliens must have gotten one. I never found it.
    I really like them. I feed them algae wafer and shrimp pellets and of course they scrounge off the bottom for left overs.
    The mostly stay on the bottom but are pretty cute when they get to swimming around the tank.
    I'd love to increase their school but it's rare the the LFS has them.

I know you'll enjoy yours as much as I do mine. :)

6. Broq15 Initiate Member

harpua, you said you did not have long term success with yours...how long did you have them for. when i get home i will make sure what species they are exactly.

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Sadly, I had them for just a few months. I had 8 or so in a 10 gallon and they just dwindled away one by one.

8. Broq15 Initiate Member

Harpua, My 3 pygmy corys are doing fine still! *cross fingers* they've gotten bigger actually :) I just got 2 otos too.