Pygmy corys with pandas

ty lawrence

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have one little pygmy cory left after trying to get the school up to 6 several times over the past year or so. For some reason, I seem to gradually lose them until I'm down to just one again. It's happened several times. Currently, I am unable to find any more of the little guys, and I'm wondering if I can put the larger species like pandas in with him? I know he needs his own kind, but I've been looking for months. The LFS I got him from is having trouble getting them and the only other store that occasionally gets them in is about 60 miles away. He is in a 20 long with two male guppies right now. I'll be adding more guppies. Thanks

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had the same issue with my pygmys. Started out with 10, now I'm down to 2. I got some Julii cories and they seem happy swimming around with them. I've kind of given up keeping pygmys because they don't seem to want to live very long (mine were wild caught so apparently sometimes they just die for no reason)

OP
T

ty lawrence

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you. Surprisingly enough - my local Petco had the pygmies in stock (unbelievable) and I got 5. I'll see how it goes again. Otherwise I may try the Jullis

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your Petco must be really nice then! My LFS has them sometimes but I was tired of waiting so I got the Julii. They definitely are more out going than my pygmies.

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
OP, if you looking to sway away from keeping pygmies, this is fine. Dwarf Cory's can be hit and miss, if they get pass the 3 months mark in your tank, they will generally go on to live long and healthy lives.

Recently for the past 6 months, the group of habrosus I have for the past 3 years plus were starting to pass one by one unfortunately. I assume due to old age. I now have a group of new panda corys with a single habrosus, as I wanted a change.

The ideal situation is to rehome to someone that has a group of pygmies so that your single one can be with its own kind. But the next best thing you can do is just keep your tank healthy and keep what you have as happy as possible.

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
imba said:
OP, if you looking to sway away from keeping pygmies, this is fine. Dwarf Cory's can be hit and miss, if they get pass the 3 months mark in your tank, they will generally go on to live long and healthy lives.
OO, my pygmies have been with me for just over 2 months, now I'm nervous! Almost made it.

New Threads