Help Pygmy corys dying and now endlers look sick HELP!

RebeccaWinkler

Reaction score
Hey, so I have a 10 gallon tank (35l) with a Male betta fish, two endlers and originally 9 Pygmy corys. I have recently been losing my corys about one a day for a week so now I only have 3 left :/ I still am unsure as to why they died as my water test came back normal ( I thought it could be ammonia as the tank is quite heavily stocked and fairly new so have been doing frequent water changes and reduced feeding I have also ordered an ammonia test kit so when that arrives I will find out if that’s the cause) but now my two endlers seem unwell. They are both gasping at the surface of the water and one of them had black eyes which I believe can be a sign of aggression but it comes and goes so I’m unsure. I know that catfish can be very sensitive to salt but I have read things online about a salt dip/bath to give fish a boost. Would this be recommend for the endlers? I’m very concerned and worried but have no idea what I can do. I thought it could have been lack of oxygen maybe which would be why the betta isn’t affected as he can breath air so I have increased the flow of my filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated to try and help my little fish.

Attachments

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think yourr tank is cycled.
Keep up with water changes about 50% 1-2xs a day .
I would also suggest a a air stone to help gas off and oxygenate the water better.

I also don't suggest salt baths, the stress would do more harm than good.

OP
R

RebeccaWinkler

Reaction score
I’ve had the tank for years with the same filter it’s just the set up and fish that are new so I don’t think it’s that. But I’ll keep up with water changes and think about an air stone I just wasn’t sure if that’d be too much flow for the betta....?
And aww okay I wasn’t sure if that bath would help or make things worse.
Thank you

tapirtamer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RebeccaWinkler said:
I’ve had the tank for years with the same filter it’s just the set up and fish that are new so I don’t think it’s that. But I’ll keep up with water changes and think about an air stone I just wasn’t sure if that’d be too much flow for the betta....?
And aww okay I wasn’t sure if that bath would help or make things worse.
Thank you
An airstone can work for a betta! A good idea can be to get a small one and put a sponge around it, like the Fluval pre-filter sponge. This lets the air out, but kind of baffles it. All the benefits of dissolved oxygen with very little of the flow!
Also, how long was it between the old setup and the new? The bacteria in filters can die off if they aren't receiving ammonia (or ammonium) on a regular basis.
I think the airstone will be the priority for now - if fish are gasping at the top, that's almost a guarantee that the lower water columns aren't getting enough oxygen. This would also explain why the corys went first, since they prefer the lower half of tanks. Then, when you get the ammonia kit, see how that goes. I agree with skar on water changes just in case ammonia isn't getting cycled, and that will be yet another source of dissolved oxygen.

OP
R

RebeccaWinkler

Reaction score
Aww okay thank you I’ll go and buy one. And it wasn’t long I gave the old fish away and turned it into a tropical tank.

New Threads