Pygmy Corydoras

AquaticLeopard

I am looking for a small school of peaceful small fish that would get along well with Black Kuhli Loaches and Chili rasboras. Someone suggested pygmy corydoras and mentioned that they spend a fair amout of their time in the middle of the tank unlike most corys. I thought this would be a good place to ask about keeping Kuhli Loaches and Pygmy Corydoras. I have a 29 gallon planted tank that currently has 10 Black kuhli loaches. It has black sand substrate, plenty of driftwood and I plan to add more plants over the next few weeks.

I am considering final tank stocking of:
10 Black Kuhli Loaches (pangio oblonga)
10 Pygmy Cories (Corydoras Pygmaeus)
20 Chili Rasboras (Boraras Brigittae)
Neocaridina Davidii heteropoda or davidii colony

Would the cories be likely to crowd the Kuhlis too much on the bottom? Is there a better suited cory species for my planned tank? Are there any other issues that I have overlooked that might make this a bad idea? I'm not too familiar with any of the cory species, but have always had my eye on them. I just never had space for them in my tanks.

I have attached a photo of my current tank, I will be adding wisteria along the back.

DoubleDutch

I'd pwrsonally wouldn't cause they all feed in the bottom and both need their time and.space to do that.

Upvote 0

AquaticLeopard

I'd pwrsonally wouldn't cause they all feed in the bottom and both need their time and.space to do that.
Thanks for your reply, I wasn't totally convinced that there would be enough bottom space in a 29 gallon for both species. I am still considering it, but only if others have kept them both happily in similar conditions. I would love to add cories to my tank eventually, just not at the expense of the fish.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

The only thing I'd worry about is the little pymies not getting the time and space to forage like they would like to do.

Upvote 0

BillynJennifer

I have the Neon Green Rasbora. Their size and care is just about the same as the Chili Rasbora and they don't go after my Cherry Shrimp babies.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

do you have any top feeders cause if you wanted to you could add some of those if so here are a couple of top feeders giant danios, guppies pink kissing gourami, congo tetras, blue gourami dwarf gourami. so yea if you want there were a couple of breeds of topwater fish.

Maybe I misunderstand your post but several of the mentioned fish aren't suitable for a 29g. Congo tetras and Kissing gouramis certainly not

Upvote 0

MacZ

Giant danios aren't suitable for a 29 either. Congo tetras aren't surface fish anyway. Guppies and danios might also be too active for the other planned stocking.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

I would possibly look at a small centerpiece that will not bother shrimp (possibly a sparkling gourami or two?), pygmies are half active and half not, mine spend half their time just sitting in foliage and don't school as much (they scavenge sometimes near each other, but even with 12 of them they feel safe enough to just be by themselves and no one messes with them).
I would up the number of kuhlis to replace having a second bottom dweller species as the shrimp will take up some of that space pretty easily.

Upvote 0

AquaticLeopard

Maybe I misunderstand your post but several of the mentioned fish aren't suitable for a 29g. Congo tetras and Kissing gouramis certainly not
I'm also not really in the market for another top level only fish. The chili rasboras will occupy the middle of the tank eventually. I was mostly curious about people's experiences with keeping Kuhli's and pygmy cories. I'm leaning more towards getting more Kuhlis and just having a 2 fish species tank and some shrimp.

I would possibly look at a small centerpiece that will not bother shrimp (possibly a sparkling gourami or two?), pygmies are half active and half not, mine spend half their time just sitting in foliage and don't school as much (they scavenge sometimes near each other, but even with 12 of them they feel safe enough to just be by themselves and no one messes with them).
I would up the number of kuhlis to replace having a second bottom dweller species as the shrimp will take up some of that space pretty easily.
I considered a centerpiece fish at one point, but I quite like the chili rasboras and will probably just get a large group of them so they feel safer. I feel like most of the centerpiece fish would pose a bigger threat to my shrimp than the chilis and kuhlis.

Thanks for everyone's input. It looks like cories will have to wait until I can justify setting up another tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AquaticLeopard
Replies
Views
ap4lmtree
  • Question
Replies
Views