Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Pygmy Corydoras

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by David N Ragsdale, Dec 29, 2018.

1. David N RagsdaleNew MemberMember

Hey everyone, I looked through a few months worth of posts and didnt see anything on the Pgymy topic.

I'm new to the hobby but I'm extremely fascinated in these little guys (as well as their full size cousins) However none of my lfs have had them for the past 3 months. Today I went into petsmart and they actually sell them for 99 cents. She told me she could order me as many as I want.

My question is should I breed them? I have 2 10 gallon tanks ready to go for it and have done a lot of research, but would like to hear it from you guys. From what I read it sounds like I am more than capable of doing so.

Thanks!

2. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Pygmy Cories are active and really need a minimum of 20g.

3. David N RagsdaleNew MemberMember

Its only for breeding purposes though. They would mainly live in a 20 long I'm setting up.

4. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

I can’t claim to have experience breeding fish, but I’m headed there. I recommend a species only tank, so you don’t have to trade off this or that parameter for other inhabitants. Sure add some snails or shrimps (not ghost) for cleanup, but otherwise go with just the pygmies.

5. David N RagsdaleNew MemberMember

Thats the plan. 10 gallon for the breeding and a 10 for the juveniles until they're ready to be sold. Plus i might set up a 20 Long as a pgymy and cherry shrimp tank only