10 Gallon Tank Pygmy corydoras in a 10 gallon?

airdog44

Hey all,
I just finished re-scaping my 10-gallon tank and want to get different fish to mix it up. I was planning on stocking it with:
1 honey gourami
6 neon tetras
4 pygmy corydoras
I have read mixed reviews about the pygmies tank size, and how many to keep in a school. I'm just looking for some first-hand advice when it comes to them.

If not these, are there any other bottom dwellers for this small of a tank?

Would the honey gourami eat RCS(red cherry shrimp)?

And if I can get the pygmy cory then would the best food be for them?

If this isn't a good stocking option do you have any recommendations? I would really like a lone centerpiece with some schooling fish around it.

Thanks for the help!

ChrissFishes01

I think pygmy cories are fine in a 10. I'd do 5-6, but 4 is fine if you wanted to keep a smaller number.

I wouldn't add any other fish, if I'm being honest - 2 schools of 6 and a centerpieces is plenty, IMO.

The honey gourami would almost definitely eat shrimp, but if you provided enough live plants you'd probably have some survive. The cories will eat most of the babies, though. Might be better off to either do ghost shrimp or just snails.

Cories are gonna eat anything, as long as it gets to them. I'd personally get some small sinking pellets (I like Omega One foods when it comes to dry, but any brand is fine), and feed frozen bloodworms a few times a week. The tetras will become pretty voracious eaters compared to the cories, so you'll have to feed pretty heavy.

All this is doable, though. It just won't be "low maintenance". Live plants will make your life a lot easier!

Upvote 0

airdog44

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Yes, my tank is moderately planted I have a couple of different types of Java fern, anubias, a monte carlo carpet that just started, some water wisteria, lava rock, and spiderwood. I wasn't planning on getting any fish other than the ones listed. You don't think it would be overstocked though? I'm just afraid the fish won't have enough room to swim. Thanks again for the quick reply!

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Yes, my tank is moderately planted I have a couple of different types of Java fern, anubias, a monte carlo carpet that just started, some water wisteria, lava rock, and spiderwood. I wasn't planning on getting any fish other than the ones listed. You don't think it would be overstocked though? I'm just afraid the fish won't have enough room to swim. Thanks again for the quick reply!
My personal opinion is that a lot of people tend to understock their tanks - nothing wrong with that, but I personally prefer more fish. If you're up for the extra maintenance required to keep water parameters in line, you should be fine with what you want. The fish all stay small, and with plenty of plants, there'll be plenty of private spaces to go hide if they need to.

Upvote 0

airdog44

Ok sounds good. I totally agree with you, I don't like the understocked tanks at all. Yay! I'm super happy that works! The honey gourami has been my dream fish for a while and I feel like for a tank to be a proper "community tank" there have to be at least 3 different types of fish. Thank you for the help! I've only had this tank for about 6 months so I'm still a newbie :)(you just got a new subscriber)

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

I would do anymore then 9 in a corydoras only tank,
IMO six is the minimum and is what I would recommend.

I would personally do a guarmie as the center piece fish, but that's all up to you. :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
  • Question
Replies
Views
Natalie666
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Stocking for 20?
Replies